Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Cape Leveque and the Dampier Peninsular

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 2 October 2011 | Views [1810]

I'm sitting here on the deck of my safari tent watching a vermillion sun rise over the eastern beach of Cape Leveque.  In the distance I can see whales breaching far out to sea and countless species of birds are singing in the dawn.

This truly is one of the most spectacular bits of coastline in Australia if not the world.  Yesterday we watched the sun make the red pindan cliffs glow a bright red as it set over the Indian Ocean.

This is one of those places writers come for inspiration.  It's one of those places that people don't think exist anymore; unspoilt and wild; quiet and reflective; ancient and culturally significant.  It ticks all the boxes.

Since moving to Broome, the Dampier Peninsular has captured our imagination and we spend quite a bit of time exploring up here.  Driving north from Broome on the 2nd worst road in Australia you come across a series of small indigenous communities and coastal outcrops that exist in their own little pocket of paradise.

Places like Beagle Bay with it's quaint little church and alter made of pearl shell and Middle Lagoon with one of the most stunning little bays I have ever seen.  Further up there is Lomabdina an indigenous community that is so perfect it looks like it was purpose built for a movie set.  And down near Broome James Price Point the currently fought over piece of coastline where the WA government wants to build a gas hub.  The Premier called it an "unremarkable piece of coastline".  When I first saw it my jaw dropped at it's unusual beauty and dramatic Pindan cliffs.

I don't feel like I've really touched the Kimberley yet.  There is just so much diversity here and so much pristine wilderness.  Every shot I take on my camera seems like a post card and it really is hard to take a bad photo in such a beautiful setting. 

All I can say is if you have ever thought about coming over here just do it. 

Tags: broome, cape leveque, dampier peninsular, the kimberley

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.