Existing Member?

Rosi & Jen's 11 Thousand Beach Odyssey Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you did not do, then the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream...."

Singapore Chilli Mudcrab

SINGAPORE | Monday, 25 February 2008 | Views [2631]

Last night we went to Newton Circus Food Market.  It’s a massive open air arena of food.   We caught the train to Newton and as we walked across the overpass toward Newton circus we started to smell the chilli and the fish sauce and the grilled prawns and the chargrilled chicken and our tastebuds just exploded with excitement.  This was a real foodie paradise we were about to enter. When you walk in and are instantly pounced on by vendors wanting you to use their stall.  The stalls surround the inner seating area and the vendors have fresh fish and prawns and stingrays displayed on ice for you to look at to check how fresh their ingredients are.  Jen even saw a stall selling deep fried oyster omellettes.  We both agreed that Jen’s Dad would have loved to try that one.  When you can’t take the vendor harrassment anymore and choose one they madly rush to find you a table.  They fling a menu at you and you choose what you want.  Whatever you choose they will ask you if you want to try Singapore Chilli Mudcrab, which is Singapore’s unofficial national dish.  We decided to choose it.  It’s consists of two  whole cooked mudcrabs in a gravy of chilli, tomato and egg.  It is unbelievably messy and spectacularly good.  We were in food heaven.  We washed it down with a couple of tiger beers on steroid (633ml) and waddled back home happy and full. 

 

Singaporeans operate best at night.  They shop late into the night and eat dinner late.  A Brisbane restaurant that says “I’m sorry but the kitchen closed at 8” would go out of business here.

Tags: Food & eating

About rosibud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.