Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

6 July, Sunday

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 6 July 2008 | Views [252] | Comments [1]

Went to All Saints church, Netherthong (there's also an Upperthong!) this morning, for Parish Eucharist. Its a fairly plain church, but nice and airy and the service was pretty standard (although the sound system left something to be desired!). The people were pretty friendly, although there weren't many of them. Lots of candles again - they seem to be a feature of C of E here.

After we had lunch, we set off for Manchester, to visit the Science Museum - it's amazing how close everywhere is here, compared to Oz. The drive tookus through some amazing country, across the moors (including Saddleworth Moor, where the bodies of the Moors Murder victims were buried). We are truly seeing some wonderful scenery on our travels.

The Science Museum was interesting, although aimed mainly at children (which was why we went - Izzy and Rory wanted a visit). There was also a Body Show, with real bodies that had been plasticized (some of you may have seen a programme a while ago, on SBS, where a professor cut up bodies with gay abandon, in a sort of lecture hall - this show was produced by the same man).

We came home by a different route, equally as scenic. However, when we got home, Kate found that, although she had set her automatic oven to cook the roast beef whilst we were out, she had forgotten to put the meat in!!! Poor Kate, she was so cross with herself but we managed quite well with fish and chips instead!!

After dinner, Ron went with Dave, Izzy and Rory on a walk which included crossing fields, climbing over stiles, walking along a flooded path, up hill and down dale - he said it was a great walk during which they ate wild bilberries. Came home wet but happy!

We managed to see the last set of the Men's Wimbledon final - how about Roger's new cardy? It was a shame that he didn't get his sixth consecutive title, thus beating Bjorn Borg, but it really was Nadal's turn. Glad to see that Lewis Hamilton won the British Formula 1 GP so convincingly, and in such atrocious weather (oh, this rain! NSW eat your heart out).

Some other strange place names over the last few weeks: Bishop's Tachbrook, Pocket Nook, Leek Wootton, Straight Solely, Birdlip, Wokingham With and Wokingham Without!

We leave here tomorrow, after having had a wonderful time, and should reach Sam's about 1.30pm. However, we'll be returning towards the end of July because Dave and Kate have very kindly offered to let us use their house whilst they are on holiday in St Lucia (in the Caribbean)- we're looking forward to exploring this beautiful countryside, and also to travelling further afield in Yorkshire (the Minster and The Shambles, for instance).

Comments

1

We're very impressed with your organisation with this newsletter and photos etc. So pleased you're having a wonderful trip. Tony is yearning for the 'mother country' so it makes him all nostalgic. We're off to the wild blue yonder and going to Kunanurra in the north of Western Australia (fly to Darwin, then to Kunanurra). Off to a BCA church and staying with the minister. We'll do some family education and probably Tony with do some counselling while we're there (away for 1 month).We will miss most of the winter of Bundanoon (damm). I am waiting on a hip replacement which we hope will be not too long after our return, as i'm getting more useless than ever. Tony has done the minutes of the Parish council, so all's well (not that we expect you to be thinking about that!!).Must away, take care, and continue to enjoy your wonderful journey. God bless, love from Suzy and Tony

  Suzy and Tony Molyneux Jul 8, 2008 6:04 PM

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.