Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

4 June, Wednesday

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 4 June 2008 | Views [304]

Wow - what a day! Drove with Chris and Jean to Exbury, in the New Forest, about an hour and a half from Crowthorne. There were wild ponies and donkeys all over the place, plus large white cows wandering free. We saw one pony suckling its foal at the side of the road and they are all so tame. Just before we reached Exbury we drove through Beaulieu (of my Lord Montague and Historic Motor Museum fame).

Exbury has some magnificent gardens and, although the rhododendrons and azaleas were past their best, there were still plenty of wonderful plants to see. The walks around the park were varied and enticing - never quite knowing what would be around the corner. Jean had made a picnic and we ate that before carrying on around the park. At the far end is the Beaulieu River from where some of the ships used during WWII in the invasion of Normandy, set sail. There is a plaque commemorating this, near the edge of the water.

After having walked our little feet off, we caught a ride on the miniature railway that runs through the park - quite an experience, with a guard who so obviously loves his job and who gave a great talk about the railway. He mentioned that the Queen had visited them early in May and we had actually seen footage (in Australia)of her in a small train, without realising where it was. Alongside the railway line were various figures of animals made out of wire and covered in moss, all very lifelike.

After the train journey, we went on another walk to the Rock Garden and then had a visit to the Gift Shop (of course!). Such a shame that we couldn't buy any of the beautiful rhododendron plants but obviously we could not have taken them into Australia!

When we had exhausted ourselves in the park, we drove back to Beaulieu where, lo and behold, we saw a donkey ambling nonchalantly along the footpath, through the village (which is very picturesque).

We left Beaulieu and carried on to a place called Lepe, on the Solent overlooking the Isle of Wight. We could see Cowes and also Osborne House, Queen Victoria's favourite residence, in the distance. Strange to be so far south. We then drove to Fawley, to see where Jean and Chris used to live (on the edge of the New Forest and not far from Southampton).

Finally, and a wonderful end to a great day, we called in to The Pilgrim pub for dnner. This delightful pub has a fully thatched roof and is completely original inside. After a yummy meal of fish and chips we came home, tired but happy!

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.