Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

3 June, Tuesday

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 3 June 2008 | Views [402] | Comments [1]

Today was pouring with rain - roads slightly flooded. 

Jean drove us with Sam to the station where we caught the train for London for Sam's interview. We needed to go to Cavendish Street so, after we had reached Waterloo Station we took the Tube - first time we had used it! Very efficient system although, without Sam, I don't think we would have worked out which line to take!

Sam's interview lasted over an hour and they asked her all sorts of (to us) odd questions! She won't know for about a week as they had some other people to interview, so once again, fingers crossed.

When Sam rejoined us we caught the Tube to Knightsbridge for the must-do visit to Harrods. It's an amazing place, which can hardly be called a shop - more like an emporium, and even that doesn't really cover it as those of you who've been there would agree. Pretty pricey for the main part but the gift shop is great, as is the food hall. We took the Egyptian escalator, which is very ornate and we also saw the memorial to Diana and Dodi - to be honest, that is a bit tacky. Bought a few Harrodsy things (including the obligatory bag)and really did enjoy ourselves wandering around. The staff are very friendly and helpful and most seem to be French for some reason.

We saw the cutest little car today, called a G-whizz. It is an electric car and much smaller even than the original Mini. It is a four-seater but seems to have only about 2cm (1" to you oldies) of leg room in the back!Great for city driving.

After another wander around on the Tube (three trains!) we caught the train for home at Waterloo (still pouring)and Jean met us, thank goodness. Then dinner for these little ducklings (or ducklets, which is word Sam coined in a moment of whimsy).

Liam had his First Communion today at school and we were very sad to have missed that, especially as he did a reading during the service - never mind Liam, you can tell us all about it when we get home!

Hoping for finer weather tomorrow so we can go with Jean and Chris to Exbury, near the New Forest, to see some amazing gardens filled with rhododendrons. Its amazing how abundantly the wild rhododendrons grow - they're all purple but, unlike the cultivated purple ones, they don't have a yellow centre.

Comments

1

Wow....reading your journal is like being on our 2 week England holiday in 2006 all over again! Sounds like a wonderful trip.
We are off on our trip to France on 6 June. Paris, Normandy, Mont St. Michel, Le Mans (can't wait to see Sam), the walled city of Carcassonne, Cassis, and days spent wandering around Provence. We return home on the 21st.
Look forward to 'traveling' along with you via your journal when we return.
Love,
Bob and Xan

  Bob and Xan Jun 4, 2008 11:32 PM

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.