Existing Member?

Adventures Abroad

2 June Monday

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 2 June 2008 | Views [255] | Comments [1]

Today we decided to go to Hampton Court Palace, somewhere we were both looking forward to seeing. Chris and Jean came with us, and we started off in the Rose Garden - full of glorious old fashioned roses, filling the air with their scent. We decided to "do" the gardens first and had a great time walking around the various types - the formal garden was full of yew trees, beautifully manicured. The beds were full of all sorts of flowers and the begonias were particularly colourful. At the end of the Knot Garden there were several beautifully worked gates, in the process of being gilded and on the river was a paddle-boat. Alongside the Knot Garden was a walkway - covered with a vine, a lovely cool colonnade. Next to this was the Privy Garden, then the Pond Garden and, at the far end was a greenhouse in which grew the world's oldest vine. We had a look at the Banqueting House, with its beautiful ceiling and then decided to have a cuppa and a bite to eat in the Palace coffee shop.

We started our inside tour in the Tudor area (Henry VIII's apartments) and the guide was a real hoot - he (as were the other guides) was dressed in Tudor dress and he spoke of the rooms as if they had only just been built. We met up with another group, who were led by the Queen's brother (supposedly!), the Queen being Henry's sixth wife, Katherine Parr, who joined us at one point. It was really good fun and we were taught how to curtsy/bow in case we met the King.

The Palace is in two distinct styles - the original Tudor building (which was built for Cardinal Wolsley but commandeered by Henry, who was jealous of the Cardinal for having such a beautiful building) and the later Georgian ones. The tapestries were huge and the mind boggles at the work which must have gone into them, although they have faded from their original colourful splendour.

We didn't have time to visit all the rooms, or indeed all of the gardens and so will return later, before the end of our holiday.

Sam rang whilst we were at the Palace, to say she was in Calais on her way home from the Le Mans Qualifying session (she returns to Le Mans this coming Sunday to prepare for the actual 24-hour race the following weekend). She has an interview in London tomorrow, with the A1GP people, so fingers crossed (it's just about the first interview she has ever had to do). A1 is like Formula 1 except that each driver has an identical car (in their country's colours) and they represent their country, rather than themselves, in races all over the world, including Australia (ex-Formula 1 World Champion, Alan Jones, runs the Australian team). Her present job finishes at the end of this month because the woman who Sam replaced has returned from maternity leave.

Our Rover has now been fixed, albeit at a much higher cost than we had hoped, but nevertheless we now have a car in great condition for the rest of our holiday. We've been sold on diesel as a more economical fuel than petrol.

We have really been spoilt by Jean and Chris and their hospitality has been marvellous; we seem to laugh together all the time and, thankfully, enjoy doing the same things.

Comments

1

Hi Sandra and Ron,
I'm really enjoying your tour and photos, I allmost feel I'm with you enjoying the sights. Sounds like all is going well. Keep up the good work.

All my love

Jo

  jo Jun 3, 2008 2:42 PM

About ronsan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.