Existing Member?

Excellent Adventures

First real day in Lyon

FRANCE | Sunday, 22 April 2007 | Views [647] | Comments [1]

April 25th, 2007 (My first full day in Lyon)

Sunday was the first real day in Lyon, and it was awesome. Sunday is Market day, and the markets line the rivers. There are 3 markets: one for food, one for books, and one for art. We only went to the food one, but decided to see the rest later. The market sells pretty much anything you need for food. There is a lot of produce vendors, but also lots of butchers, fish seller-guys, cheese sellers, and bakers. This is also where the cheapest food is to be bought (which makes it a necessary part of any student's week).

On Sundays Allen and his friends have brunch after buying their groceries at the market. They each buy something to contribute, and then make a big feast. This week Allen and myself were eating with Amy (from Sydney), Rachel (from Melbourne), Eric (from Ontario), and Sam (from Ontario). All Allen's friends are really cool, and it was really fun to hang out with them. Sam and I had a lot in common in particular because it was her first day in Lyon as well and her French was as terrible as mine. She had just been on exchange in Salamanca (Spain) and so we both could speak a little spanish with each other (her more than I).

Our brunch was awesome. It consisted of salad (lettuce, tomatoes, avocado), freshly baked bread (the french really know how to bake bread), this amazing butter with sea salt crystals in it (actually, this might be the secret behind the amazing bread...), and fresh strawberries. It was a pretty typical cheap-student-french meal.

Later Allen and I met Sam and Eric at the huge park in Lyon. It's called “Parc de le tete d'or” meaning “Park of the head of gold,” named after a legend or something of a golden head of Jesus (from a statue I suppose) being burried in the park. The park is huge, and very pretty. It has a huge lake in the middle with two islands, a zoo (which was free), Interpol (the headquarters of the international police), Cite International (a self-contained city with a movie theatre, stores, restaurants, and an amphitheatre), and a greenhouse full of exotic plants, among other things. It was huge. What was also cool is that it was packed. Sundays in France (maybe just Lyon) are designated as family day and everything is closed. (As in everything. That is one more reason the markets are so popular. I heard that stores can get fined for being open on Sundays.) People just hang out with their kids, and go bike riding apparently. Probably half the city was in this park, it seemed so full. And there were police people walking around through it too, which was different, but good I guess. We walked around the park, through the zoo (which was free and therefore awesome), around cite international, and finally took a little nap/break thing under the shade of some trees. We sat for a while, and then hackey-sacked a bit. Eric taught us all to make loon call noises with our fist. Suddenly it was 7:00, and we left for home.

Tags: Markets

Comments

1

I am doing research paper for my French civilization class and this is so cool, lots of good information! thanks.

  Ugi Dec 19, 2008 9:00 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.