Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 24: Come rain, hail or shine

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 28 August 2011 | Views [633]

:D

:D

It’s raining, it’s pouring and now it’s bright and sunny. Come rain, hail or shine is not a phrase I’m going to use again, especially in London because well, chances are it’s going to rain.

When I got up early on Tuesday morning determined to get a ticket see my favourite Shakespeare play with my favourite duo (Much Ado About Nothing with David Tennant and Catherine Tate), even if I missed out on the lottery to get a standing room ticket, that phrase ran through my mind in order to motivate me into leaving the house. Well guess what? It rained. At it rained while the seventy odd people and myself waited for them to draw the daily lottery tickets. Luckily I got a spot on the stairs and didn’t need to stand with my newly broken umbrella. I won’t write about the suspense in waiting while they drew out each one of the numbers for the twenty seats and then disappointingly having to line up to buy standing room tickets and then have someone return their lottery ticket and have my number called out, because I meant to be writing about the rain.(Yay! I got a cheap seat!)

So what does one do when it’s pouring outside? Apart from staying at home or working, usually hang out in a shopping centre. Unfortunately there are no major shopping centres in the centre of London, but there are major shops. M&M World (Giant Chocolate shells walking around), Hamleys (where Toys ‘r us no doubt got the idea from), clothing stores (I won’t even begin to start naming them) and many, many more.

There are also many museums and galleries and palaces to see. I spend over two hours in the National Portrait Gallery, which is the longest time I’ve ever spent in a gallery without getting a headache. Record! It was either that portraits are more interesting pieces of art, that I’m improving my stamina for art or that it was raining outside and I didn’t want to get rained on. Hmm. . probably the latter.

I would like to say I'm getting used to the rain, but I'm not. I attempted to go for a walk today when the sun came out for a bit and forgot to take an umbrella. And guess what? I got rained on *sigh* You would think after a week of consecutive rain and sunny weather I would have learnt a thing or two about being prepared, but watching tv all day does make my brain slower.

Aside from seeing David Tennant and Catherine Tate in the flesh (they are hilarious!!!) I spent most of the week feasting on chocolate chip cookies and chips and watching Aussie dramas where the sun shines all the time and it doesn’t rain. Well, except metaphorically on the characters lives :P

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.