Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 23: Imaginary Lands and Fairytale Castles – Neuschwanstein Castle and Munich

GERMANY | Monday, 22 August 2011 | Views [1343]

:D

:D

When I was young I used to draw pictures with bright green grass, dark green trees, bright blue skies with white clouds, grey mountains and houses with triangular roofs and all combinations of doors and windows. If I had known there was a place like my childhood drawings I would have visited the region of Bavaria in Germany a lot sooner.

Seriously I wish I could spend my life driving through the Bavarian countryside admiring the scenery, preferably in a Mercedes C-Class sports coupe – when in Germany ;-) because I don’t think I could ever get sick of looking at the number of different window combinations on the houses. I love the non-uniformity of it all!

And if I lived in Bavaria, I would visit my favourite castle at least once a month. I’m sure everyone has seen the castle in pictures or at the very least at the beginning of any film production by the Disney Company, because the Disney castle was based on Neuschwanstein (pronounced Noisch, wan, stein). And if I had all the money in the world I would finish where mad King Ludwig left off and make sure that all the rooms would be completed the way he had planned; lavishly decorated, detailed furniture, more chandeliers in the shapes of crowns and of course walls painted with stories from Wagner’s operas. And then I’d probably feel bad for spending that much money and open the castle as an orphanage and school for poor children (probably messing with their minds in the process by going from living in poverty to living in such opulence.)

Away from my imagination and into reality. . .

Munich the capital of Bavaria is most famously known for Oktoberfest. I can’t imagine how crazy it’ll be during Oktoberfest.  After one visit to the Hofbrauhaus and the difficulties in finding a table in that massive place were more than enough for me. I’m not a beer drinker and I could see the fear in the waiter’s eyes when I ordered something other than beer. He’ll forever remember me as the girl who ordered wine in the Hofbrauhaus. Well it was on the menu!

Another thing Munich is not so famous for is the place where Hitler started his army from. I don’t like war or serious history and I’m glad the guide from the free walking tour only alluded to it a few times (he couldn’t not talk about it I suppose) and they were all stories of resistance to the Third Reich. I can’t imagine what it would’ve been like for people in that time and I’m eternally grateful to live in this day and age.

I didn't ever draw a city like Munich when I was younger, because I'd prefer my green grass, trees, mountains and a house drawings. But any city set in the beautiful region of Bavaria has my thumbs up! :)

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.