Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 6: Don't expect the unexpected

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 26 April 2011 | Views [395]

Unexpected things in life usually have a more immediate impact on us than things we know are going to occur. Which is probably why when I turned around after re-adjusting a chair in the lobby at Claridge's and Russell Brand was an arm's distance away from me, it was an incredibly surreal moment. That and he was dressed exactly like his character Arthur and I had seen the trailer the night before at the cinemas. As a result my head went completely blank and I was in default mode so the only words that came out was ‘How are you, Sir?’ (That’s how witty I get!) At least he answered unlike some of the other snobs that walk into the hotel and I read the next day that he wants to be knighted so at least I said something right! :P For those who want to know what he’s like, he’s exactly like you see in interviews.

I’ve also learnt that sunglasses for celebrities are not only useful for not being recognised, but protecting the eyes when the paparazzi come along. I honestly wished I was able to wear some indoor ones last week because not only was the sun shining, the number of people who were taking photos from the outside hoping to get a shot of Russell Brand and Katy Perry made the days extremely blinding at times.  If that was the only hard part of the job I wouldn’t mind, but after almost three days of standing in heels for over 10 hours at a time with only a 30 minute break each day means that my feet are starting to become physically deformed and I was limping home by the third day. I never want to that again even if I meet every celebrity under the sun.

So apart from working I saw the part 1 of The Deathly Hallows (again) at a local pub (it was free and there was free popcorn, how can a girl refuse! ) and went to church for all the Holy week/Easter masses. One of my housemates organised an Easter Egg Hunt on Sunday (we were still finding eggs the next day!) and we also had a BBQ. It wasn’t the typical Aussie like I expected because I could only find German sausages and we had meat patties instead of steak because apparently the steak isn’t very good over here. But regardless it was fun because I hadn’t expected it to be so and I’m probably going to remember the Aussie BBQ with German snags more than meeting Russell Brand.

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.