Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

These walls are filled with everything

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 10 August 2011 | Views [1235] | Comments [2]

Dressed in a combination of clothes and accessories that really should have been in the washing machine or didn’t fit into my overloaded suitcase, I boarded the South Line train from Sydney Central station. I wore a Catwoman comic t-shirt I’d donned as pyjamas a couple of nights ago, a heavy Nepali scarf, a cream beanie, a huge bright red bangle and pale jeans I was sure I’d worn for six days straight. I could either be classified as one of those artsy, hipster types, revelling in the ironic; or possibly a well-funded hobo. I was suffering the soreness of the half marathon the day prior, and I was on my way to seeing the woman who never cared how I looked, so long as I was there with her. All that mattered was that I made it before nightfall, or she would worry.

I’d made the journey a number of times before, and knew the sequence well. The airport train to Central, the Southern Line to Liverpool, and then the bus to Moorebank. It still smelled like burned rubber and fuel, no matter how many years in between visits. I always peered around Central station nervously, aware of the fact that I made myself look like a tourist with my giant suitcase and Guess hand luggage. I noticed every person that walked by: the elderly Japanese man with his walking stick and “Australia” cap, the sour-faced Chinese woman who squeezed into the lift, the Indian students lugging heavy textbooks, and the bedraggled mothers with three children in tow. Midday, midweek traffic always made for interesting people watching. I knew the Southern Line was mine; it always had been, not because it was the only way to Liverpool, but mostly because I felt nervous around some of the passengers on the Inner West Line. That feeling has never changed. Lastly, I always screwed up the bus part, using my internal navigation to find the house once I jumped off at some nearby-but-not-quite-right street, always within a kilometre or so. This trip was no exception, and I learned that my shiny new suitcase wheels were built for airport floors, not suburban Sydney streets.

Hot, bothered and half-dragging my semi-busted suitcase up the drive, I pulled off my scarf and coat, and dumped them atop my luggage in the path. They need not be inside straight away, there were more important things ahead. The tiles at the door were still polished to a sheen from forty years, seven children and eighteen grandchildren worth of footsteps, with one tile missing on the top step. A jar of flowers stood in the windowsill, and the pumpkin patch was strangely empty. I went for the door; the screen door handle still sagged low, as did the main door. Nothing was different, yet everything was. This house was missing one person; that chair now always empty. I was worried about what to expect, and when I walked through the door my Omi was there in the kitchen cooking, waiting with her smile, a big hug and her worries about how late in the day I was. Still the same, but different, and not just the fact that she’d shrunk more.

If there was ever a single place that quintessentially felt like home, this was it. My ideas of home and where I belong often get confused by the location of loved ones and my own explorations, but there’s always this place, where you can wear your hobo clothes, watch television all day and inhale German cooking for your three squares. You can listen to stories about the war, of travel, schooling, courting, moving, loss and family in heavily accented English with bonus German words. You can find out how incredibly far our civilisation has progressed across the world in just eighty years, how hard it was to darn socks, what it was like to bear seven children, how to run a dairy farm in Chile and Canada, and what it takes to raise a huge family as hard working Australian immigrants. Every story only solidifies my opinions about multiculturalism, knowing that my own heritage came upon the sandy shores from afar, working hard to join the community and to support themselves and those around them in the land of the free.

This was the place I was born: the halls I’d run up and down for hours, the carpets I’d crawled across, the table I’d eaten countless home-cooked meals at, the photos I’d stared at, and the back room where I’d always slept. I’d drunk coffee from my Omi’s cup ridden on my ‘pony’ that Opi had made me, which lived in the garage forever and probably still does. Small differences come up every now and then which remind me of the past. The dining table is turned around as Opi doesn’t sit at the head any more. When we eat, we serve in the kitchen, rather than navigating the elaborate spread laid out to ensure he ate all he wanted, three times a day. The chess set stays packed away, and there is a new photo by the candle where Mum’s photo stands. He’s not there to pull you close and tell you that he is a robot with his crackling hearing aid and pacemaker. He’s not in his seat with his Reader’s Digest and his glasses case clipped to the top button of his flannelette shirt. Omi doesn’t tell him off for going outside and walking too far. The lemon tree is gone, as are his rabbit cages.

These things are gone, but the warmth is still here. The memories of family still echo through the halls and my Omi still shuffles in and out around the backyard, bringing in firewood to keep us warm all day. She knows the weekly television program rotation and religiously puts on the German news each morning. She tells me about the news of late, to make sure I am up to date, and when I got up on Tuesday, she had Pink and Muse blaring across the lounge. Never in my life did I think that noise would grace these walls. She explains everything on television, just as she always has. She suggests a movie at Liverpool during the week and wears pantyhose to the memorial gardens. The walk to the local shops seems shorter than ever, and I bring home cuts of meat I have no idea of how to cook, just so she can show me. Nobody makes chicken gravy or potato salad like she does. She talks about how it feels to be alone, and inside I cry for her. These walls are filled with everything; with love, with loss, with hope, with warmth, and most of all, with everything we associate with home. For forty-two years, it has been a safe haven of love and care, and for many more, it will continue to be.

Tags: family, home, sydney

Comments

1

Absolutely beautiful. Totally captured the feeling of home! I think I teared up a little... I keep saying it, but your best yet.

  Biggs Aug 11, 2011 12:29 AM

2

Ohhh those memories. Thankyou. You write so beautifully. I didnt just tear up i balled up. I feel like
I was there with you right from the busstop. Your family was my second family for many years and now ive just realised again what a special place thst house was for me too. Thankyou again

  Jane Aug 11, 2011 7:32 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.