Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

Melamine, linoleum and steel edged chairs

INDIA | Monday, 4 July 2011 | Views [1271] | Comments [4]

Masala onion dosa.
Masala onion dosa.
Repeat after me: masala onion dosa.

It was 11.00am, and like a good Mumbaiker, I slept in until ten to wait for the rest of the world to wake up. Even then, I was bleary-eyed after spending all night writing and watching My Name is Khan. Anyone who knows me well knows that I do not function without breakfast. One should not approach me if an hour has passed in my morning without food, and yet I was determined to find somewhere that was not my usual Cafe Mondegar affair.

Contrary to all requests by Andrew, I was also determined to find myself a reasonable looking kurta to join in the Indian celebrations at school. Half the staff are Indian: sometimes I feel left out, especially when I see other Western teachers taking up the casual attire, bragging about how comfortable it is. So, after making my way through a couple of higher-end cottons stores, picking up a kurta and a couple of other tops I'd had my eye on, I made it my mission to find breakfast, and not just a tourist cafe option.

It took a little walking through Kala Ghoda, and a fair bit of looking around, but there, behind the laneway, in a little parallel street it stood: Welcome Restaurant. I dodged the traffic to get across the road, momentarily proud at how adept I'd become at racing through Mumbai's chaos. I glanced inside. Melamine covered tables in rows filled the canteen, with steel edged chairs and faded linoleum flooring. Metal plates were sprawled across the tables of businessmen, and a couple of women were seated inside. Perfect. The alien menu came to me again, but this time I was not afraid. I ordered a masala onion dosa, thinking it was what I had had the night prior, only to find out it was clearly not. Apparently, I'd had uttapam, and I'd truly been missing out.

This beautiful treat of a meal was like a giant rice flour pancake, cooked only on one side and bubbling yet fluffly on the inside, like a good pancake should be. It was filled with the most luscious combination of potatoes, light but heady spices, mild curry, onions and butter, folded into a square and served upside down on my plate. One had to work hard with fork and spoon to initially break into the crispy, fluffy glory, but as soon as it touched my tongue, I was in breakfast heaven. But that's not all; down further on the menu, I saw it, my love. Special masala tea. Heavens to murgatroid, my day had come!

I continued to pull apart my dosa, soaking it in the tomato-based soupy accompaniment and the familiar picklies that go with idli. I had no idea if I was doing it right, but it tasted great and I savoured the bliss that was the sweet, spicy, milky and searingly hot REAL masala chai. I also had no idea if what I was eating was even mildly suitable as a breakfast food. Was I enamoured with the equivalent of beef stroganoff for breakfast? Or was my devouring this curried goodness a sign of being a good traveller, like those who know that a Thai green curry is for breakfast, not dinner?

Quite frankly, I didn't care too much.
So long as I had my fix of masala onion dosa and hot, spicy chai, I was happy.

What I did care about however, was that when I paused from snarfing my meal, I looked down at the shift dress I had donned for the morning and realised I had put it on inside out after trying on kurtas. I reeled in horror at the fact that all the seams were on the outside running down the front of the dress. Thank god for heavy printed fabrics available for 100 rupees at the market, because I don't think anyone else could tell.

Well, I hope so, because I didn't have anywhere to turn it back out and headed out for the day's adventures.

Comments

1

Aha, so it was Uttapam in the end and a masala onion dosa the next day too, nice!

Growing up in various countries all over the place, these are dishes I miss the most and the ones that I tend to attack first.. oh along with Idli's too! If you have a chance grab yourself a couple of those - ask for 'floating' so they are dunked in the sambar(like a stew) because if you like dosa, you should like these too.

  Complete Foodie Jul 6, 2011 5:51 AM

2

I'm keen to hit some idlis next; I think I had these somewhere in the jungle on my first trip. I found a random veg Indian place just a few hundred metres from our apartment in the Marina today too and it was AWESOME. Idlis, uttapam, dosas - wicked! Oh how I love new food adventures :)

  princess2802 Jul 7, 2011 2:50 AM

3

Appa Kadai? ;) That is one of my favourites! There is also a great one in Discovery Gardens called Sarvana Bhojan shala. I dont know what it is about Indian food in Dubai, normally I would go for Thai 9/10 times but just cant seem to pass it up.

  Complete Foodie Jul 7, 2011 4:59 AM

4

Oooh no, not Appa Kadai, but I remember reading your write-up about there and intend to go sometime. It's Sarvana Bhojan Shala; they've opened up a new outlet in the Marina, down the bottom, quiet end. It was fast, easy and cheap: my style. I'm a huge fan of Thai food too, and SERIOUSLY packed on the kilos there - so yummy. Have you discovered Smiling BKK in Jumeirah? Best Thai food in Dubai, and the man swears it's the best out of Thailand...

  princess2802 Jul 7, 2011 5:19 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.