Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

A Dubai weekday - what's it like?

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Thursday, 5 May 2011 | Views [2302] | Comments [3]

Thinking about it, I can't really say an average working weekday in Dubai is much different from Australia, especially in terms of being a teacher. I picked a Wednesday, as we all know Wednesdays are average and boring, and this week, things are hard going at work. School is starting to consume me, and staff morale is low….

5.30am
Alarm goes off. Cat whines because he doesn’t like the air con running overnight. Stretch out tired, sore and tight leg muscles. Try to get blood flowing to brain. Switch on coffee machine and prep lunches. Dubai is one of the rare places it is probably cheaper to buy your lunch, but the nutrition factor is often questionable. Get dressed, throw some cereal in a bowl, check Facebook and Twitter, then blog surf my way through a cappuccino.

6.50am (precise leaving time each day)       
Andrew, man of the house and chauffer, drives me to school. Ten minutes late of a morning and parking lot chaos will ensue. Weekday mornings are not for lazy coffees or extended makeup application sessions. Catch up with colleagues in the halls and over a cup of tea. Check timetable and that I’ve actually got stuff ready for the lessons of the day (usually done a week or two in advance).

7.50am
Free period for first lesson. Meeting with Head of Department to overhaul curriculum for Years 7-9 English (I’m the coordinator). Curriculum is looking good but still a work in progress. Kids will love it….teachers will need some convincing; old dogs, new tricks n’all. Need a fresh cup of tea.

8.40am
Year 7 class (11-12 years old) and some time to chillax reading Paul Jennings short stories and talking about how awesome young adult Australian writers are. Some mention of literary techniques in there. Had classful of kids either jump out of seats, laugh or squeal at least three times. Thank you Tim Howarth for your lessons in animated reading.

9.30am
Another free period. Need a carb fix, but didn't pack anything. Race to canteen for a cheese manakish, my usual go-to for mid-morning desperation. More tea, skull a bottle of water, check facebook, email and favourite a few twitter blog posts to read later before realizing I’ve burned away 25 mins of my free period. Check 18 school emails received this morning in an effort to actually do some productive work. Race past a colleague's classroom and practice my Arabic greetings in transit. Two students from my homeroom class didn't check in for registration but had been seen by staff and students getting in a taxi after being dropped off. Stupid girls. Take photos of student work from my new display board during morning tea break. Contemplate productive marking. Avoid it and photocopy samples of student work to show for next year's cohort.

10.35am
Fresh cup of tea; try to avoid spilling on the way to class. Year 8 class is rehearsing scenes from a modern play for a performance assessment next week. A beautifully crafted ‘peer assessment’ (read: I’m not marking) practically gives me the week off while they prepare, and a couple of days off to enjoy the performances. Teacher-bliss. Spend the lesson actually marking assessment from around eight weeks ago while they wander around in groups and memorise lines.

11.25am
Another free. Run through to-do list, ponder the next units of work for my kids, try to come up with a tangible assessment piece for the end of the year, and connect it to the skills we've already taught. Add to new curriculum plan for next year, hoping it doesn’t get slaughtered by more experienced teachers.

12.15pm
Second Year 8 class. Do the same thing as the last. I love the fact that I teach two sets of each year level. Half the preparation of standard classes, and I’ve got more time to mark during their rehearsals. The sucky part of double up classes is that when assessment comes in, you have 50 to mark, instead of 25. It can get mighty boring if it’s something laborious like today’s marking – poetry analysis essays. YAWN.

1.05pm
Lunch break. Email attack. More tea. Eat in front of the computer in my office *naughty*. Dang, I make a good salad; roasted veg are rocking my world at the moment. A student comes to do a catch up exam as he was in Ireland playing football for the UAE team when the rest of the class sat it. No stress for me; it’s not like I’ve marked any of them anyway. Run off paperwork for after-school meeting and maul an apple in the process.

1.45pm
Second Year 7 class. These guys have an extra class to burn after a cover teacher screwed up the other class’ substitution while I was sick last week. They were organised enough to work out what to do on their own, and came together to finish the work without any additional direction *angels*. So, today they're reading a short story of their own choice and rewriting the opening based on their new creative skill set. It's so quiet I could hear a mouse fart.

2.40pm
English Department meeting where we try to motivate everyone to mock up revision packs for the upcoming end of year exam block. Someone suggests eating chocolate and it’s quickly taken up. Everyone’s been worked too hard of late, with inspections etc. so no one really wants to face more on their to-do lists. Things are not looking good for timetables and workload next year. Half our department has resigned. After a few weeks of being completely unmotivated, I’m actually picking up my step again as I take action for next year. Someone's gotta do it.

3.30pm
Check papers and files etc are in order for tomorrow’s classes (barely). My brain is fried. I used to work constructively until 5.30pm almost every day earlier in the year. I have no idea how I did it.

3.45pm
Andrew picks me up from school, so we can get home in time for his personal trainer to arrive. Load up on some carbs and caffeine for an afternoon energy boost and spend some down time surfing the net and tracking through those Twitter posts I saved. The cat comes to stand between me and the screen, rub his head on stuff and generally make his presence known. He’s happy.

5.30pm
Kit up and head out for my half marathon training. Supposed to be a speed session; I HATE speed work. Compromise with a 40-minute blitz along the Marina. It’s gotten mighty hot outside in the last week and I’m feeling the pain of taking a week off for my not-so-friendly Indian parasite. Week before that I ran 37 kilometres. There's always a knock back. That said, half marathon training feels SO much more manageable than that of the full marathon. Mosey back to apartment, switch on the water heater so I can have a shower. It’ll take 30 minutes to have a hot water supply. Andrew teaches me some new funky Swiss ball thing he’s been doing while I sweat my guts out post-run on the yoga mat. Decent stretch out time so I don’t hurt so much tomorrow.

6.50pm
Assemble the makings of a spinach, leek and pepperoni frittata while continuing Andrew’s Bachelor Training. The man needs to know how to fend for himself while I’m gone for the Summer. Last year I left him in a canned soup and cereal routine. Probably wasn’t my best effort. This year, I’m aiming to leave him knowing how to cook a bit more than that. The grocery part might be more of a challenge for him. I should probably consider mocking up some kind of cookbook with pseudo-shopping list. That said, I don’t think anyone has died from eating too much soup. He’s done remarkably well on this frittata; I reckon he’ll do the whole thing on his own successfully next time! Win!

7.40pm
Munch my way through frittata over an episode of Mythbusters. Consider continuing with marking, this time of Year 7 autobiographies that I have sitting here at home, but just feel like I need the night off. I’ve got a big day of heavy paperwork along with my teaching tomorrow, so it’s time to get some rest. I’ll flick my way through Facebook and Twitter one last time, then hit the sack by 9.30pm with a half-decent book. Then, I’ll get up to do it all over again tomorrow…

Comments

1

Awwww, I got a mention!!! So glad I was able to show you the importance of being animated whilst reading to kids. It really makes such a difference and their responses (like the ones you've listed) are just priceless.
Just remember... 'undies' is the funniest word you can say in a Grade 3 class. Period.

  Tim (the animated reader) Howarth May 5, 2011 6:56 PM

2

I've noticed they're more eager to try and read more often too, and really try to 'put their backs into it' when it's their turn. We're actively avoiding the 'zombie read'.

And yes, I still use the undies thing and think of you every time.
Works like a charm, even in Grade 7 :)

  princess2802 May 5, 2011 7:00 PM

3

That brings a smile to my face!! I am also so happy to see you're introducing such awesome Australian authors to kids around the world. Everyone should be absorbed into the world of Jennings. They love it when it's their turn to be expressive. I'm yet to find a reader who is as expressive as Spike though. He is truly the most amazing child I've ever listened to read.
Undies will work for any age group. Tried and tested!

  Tim (the animated reader) Howarth May 5, 2011 7:34 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.