Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

When is a travel blog not a travel blog?

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Saturday, 12 March 2011 | Views [761]

This here; this World Nomads corner of the world, is supposed to be a travel blog. One of those places filled with adventure, animosity and all kinds of amazement. It’s not always. Sometimes it quirky, sometimes it’s cool, sometimes it downright sucks. In reviewing many of Andrew’s and my travel experiences since the end of 2009, I’ve come to realise that we’ve at times been fantastic in sharing our endeavours, and other times, been not so good. It’s not for a lack of desire, but a lack of time and energy living in a city that plays as hard as it works. I want to change that. I’m a little bored with Facebook of late, and am even tiring of Twitter. I’m overall becoming a bit fed up with the constant high-paced stream of information assaulting my brain and piling itself on top of my workload. Will I die if I don’t read another follow-up article about a natural disaster? Will it ruin my day if I miss an article about the lack of culture in Dubai? Will somebody hold an eternal grudge because I missed a tweet directed my way? I think not. I think it’s time to give back, rather than to suffer constantly receiving.

So, I’m going to go back to my roots. Back to the things I enjoyed before the days of constant internetisation. I’m going to write, and do it a whole lot more. I’ve got backlogged notes from my trip around the United Kingdom that are desperate to grace the eyes of family and friends. Kuwait and Nepal still have incredible stories to tell. I’ve got photos from Paris tucked away in a folder that has never been opened because Andrew already uploaded his. And finally, I’m going to read. The advent of the Festival of Literature here in Dubai, and an article in the newspaper magazine I’ve spotted today have inspired me to set aside more time for feeding my soul, rather than an endless ramble through cyberspace. I stopped reading for pleasure in about my 3rd year of university, but have read a handful of books in the last 6 months or so. It’s time to put more brain-space into that and take on the ideas of others that have actually been deemed suitable for an audience by those who know what they’re talking about. Not just blog-ramblers like myself (not to say that all blog-ramblers aren’t worth reading – I still love y’all).

Is it travel? Should it be here, in this space, reserved for only the best of adventures and amazement? Why the hell not? I’m travelling every day, and have been since the 18th of December 2009 when I left the sandy shores of Australia. I am not home, and some days I strangely feel as if I have never found my real home. Until the time I’m sure that I have, I say this place is open for everything I encounter along the way – Dubai, somewhere else, or not. This is my new stream of quasi-travel consciousness for experiences of a Dubai nature. My revitalized space for sharing what it is like to live here, not just on the days when you blow 100 dirhams to stand in an elevator to get to the top of the highest building in the world. Those aren’t the most interesting days; they’re just the commercial ones.

Stand by for more rambling x

 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.