Existing Member?

Princess Adventures A little something-something to run around the world with....

Sometimes you can just tell...

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 24 July 2010 | Views [776]

University. Well, I miss being able to take long weekends when I fancy, skip lectures at any whim and get decent feedback on my work. Not so great were the long nights, falling asleep over texts, really boring lectures and endless pointless tutorials. For me university was all about getting in, getting good and getting OUT. I can't say I was any of the more social bunnies roaming around campus, and certainly couldn't even consider living on campus thanks to the exuberant prices of Brisbane inner city universities. Thus, I found myself having my first real university halls experience on visiting my lovely Robyn in Sheffield.

For those not in the know, Robyn and I met when we worked together at The Local in Port Melbourne. For me, it was a second job to top up my sad Teacher Aide salary while I waited for a full teaching position in Brighton, and for Robyn, well, I think she's LIVED in more countries than I've ever visited, thus regular bar work is always an easy way to get in on the culture and grab some cash to supplement being a live-in tourist. Alas, our time together in Melbourne was short lived with a mere four or five weeks before we realised each other was a decent person to the time that Robyn was due to leave to return to England to study. However, in that short time I felt like I had found my twin. We both take too many photos, generally photograph our food before eating it, love children (well, I like teaching them) and are rampant travellers. We've got other special things in common too, but if I shared all that,  it wouldn't be us would it? Anyway, I'm off on a tangent again. I hadn't seen Robyn for almost eighteen months and even after four days together, it still felt all too short a time.

We gasbagged, yarped, prattled, yawned, chattered, laughed, giggled and even talked for hours. We also indulged in all those fantastic university things such as sleeping in until eleven every day and enjoying far too many beverages and funtimes on a Wendesday night, true Sheffield style. We slept off our illnesses on trains across the lush, green countryside and eventually made our way to High Wycombe, where Robyn had spent many of her teenage years and where her loverboy Lee currently lives. We ate some of the most incredible pub food, in particular at the oldest free house pub in England! After a stack of true Brit pub food, drinking far too much cider for my own good, soaking up as much sunshine as possible and a fabulous night out on the town in London it was sadly my time to leave Robyn. The awesome thing? I'm a heck of a lot closer in Dubai than I was in Australia, and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we find somewhere cool to meet up next. I miss her already, but it was wonderful to see her again!

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.