Existing Member?

Definitely Out There

Melbourne seems like Portland to me

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 1 April 2013 | Views [1119]

I'm in Melbourne when it hits. Burnout.

I've been traveling for 36 days, I've managed to burn through 5k, and in a desperate attempt to curb that dinner tonight is eggs, rice, salt and pepper.

Melbourne's a different city than Sydney. It feels smaller, more arty, and more like Portland; this is fantastic. The hostel I'm staying at is a lot different than the one in Sydney too. There are just as many people, but it's less social. In Sydney the Irish, English, Swedish, Canadians, we all hung out together. Here the French stay with the French, the Italians keep to themselves, and so on. It's just a different aspect of travel.

When Cat and Ariel come in to town Thursday I expect I'll feel a lot better. Until then I'm killing time and hoarding my dollars. I've signed up for a few tours too - tonight there's comedy, tomorrow a graffiti walk (those of you who follow my Instagram [@drewablank] expect to be inundated). I didn't get any sleep in Sydney, every night seemed to go til 2 or 3, so in going to take some time to recharge my batteries out here. I went to a fantastic museum today, the Victorian National Gallery.

The architecture was on par with the works displayed, which seems to be the theme of the city. The buildings really stand out here, they seem very avant garde compared to any other city I've been. Until next time, I'll be taking it slow and easy in Melbourne.

Architecture in Melbourne

About paul_meet_world


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.