Existing Member?

A life less ordinary What started out as 12months in Sydney has turned into a great adventure - taking in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and now 'home' in Dubai.

May day may day..

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 31 May 2010 | Views [516]

OMG!!! Where’s the last month go!?!? Crazy stuff, we kicked off the month by going to see a band called Wilco at the State Theatre – it is an amazing building inside and gold leaf, amazing! Although, I assumed it was be more of a ‘gig’ and so put my highest shoes on to be sure that I could see, instead my knees were around my neck as it was seated! Daire had his first game at home and whilst I was hopeful of a win they got beaten. Daire seems to be up against the fattest player on the pitch every game and I am so worried every time he plays....thankfully no injury so we headed out for a few drinks and a nice dinner in Surry Hills.  

Now for those who know me, birthday ‘season’ usually starts a few days before my birthday and lasts for a good few weeks, but this year I kept it on the down low. A friend I’ve made here is pretty sick and well, felt wierd not being surrounded by all the family and friends we have left back in the UK. Needless to say Daire completely spoilt me and gave me a few token gifts the night before my birthday and took me out for a fabulous Dinner.  We also started our wine appreciation course before dinner – basically Daire is trying to set up Wine Chap over here and so we have met some people who can be the ‘chaps’ so we’ve been going to their wine classes! Was fun, although it was the first night of cold weather and I was frozen to the bone!

The rest of the week passed with normal house tasks etc, Saturday we travelled to Newcastle to go to Groovin the Moo. It’s a local gig with bands playing all afternoon but the highlight was Vampire weekend and they were amazing but seriously, it was FUL of serious pikies. Seriously rough country folk – so bizarre!!! Just spent the whole afternoon and eve watching and taking it all in, needless to say we didn’t venture to the local bars after the gig and just headed back to our hotel. Sunday was another fab day and the train journey along the Hawkesbury River was absolutely amazing – so beautiful, which is a mad because the towns are so rough!

Last couple of weeks have included more Wednesday night wine classes and we went to see the Waratahs demolish Hurricanes in Rugby Un ion (super 14’s competition). It was a fab game made even better by the fact that we bought $20 tickets and sat in seats that were obviously reserved for those that paid $60+. Daire was in his element – completely felt like he’d got the bargain on the century! Anyways, we went on to the pitch after wards and all the players were there – was great atmosphere. Got my picture taken with the biggest dude I find!!

We also had our first go at lawn bowls and love it!!! So much fun, we went with Neil and Alex and Millie, Mark and their friend joined us! Ended up 3 parts pissed rolling into our local Indian restaurant for dinner then hitting a house party, but that didn’t stop Daire getting us up at 7.30am to head into town and cheer Ross on in the half marathon. He raised over $3k for the cancer council – sterling effort all in all considering it was also his 30th birthday! I did a good ol’ lamb roast that night and we chilled in front of the box.

Daire flew to the UK that Wednesday so we went out for Pizza and redwine on Tuesday night. Although not sure it was a good idea as got up at 5.45am the next morning to do my first class with this new group i’ve found and I am sure the pizza and wine was lodged in my chest!!

Whilst Daire was away I mostly kept myself busy, catching up with the guys I worked with at Reed Travel Exhibitions, cooked dinner over and Cheryl and Ross’s on Friday night and Saturday had my heair cut and took Alex jean shopping....which was pretty successful!!!! In the eve I had a last minute night out with Rebecca and her friends which was muchos fun.  Last week I threw myself into the gym classes and even running home from work one night! Ken took me out of Indian on Wednesday and we put the world to rights over a sag aloo. Thursday I bought a nice bottle of wine and some cheese and snuggled up on the soa for the night (freezing here) and then drinks with Alex on Friday night before Daire got home super early on Saturday morning!! I think he had a pretty productive time over there business wise and meeting his new nieces/god daughters in Dublin was the obvious high light for him. Can’t wait to get back myself now!

Saturday we went for a lovely long lunch at Glebe Point Diner and then went to the Crime and Justice Museum to see an exhibition on the corrupt underworld of NSW and Sydney over the last 100 years. In a desperate attempt to keep Daire awake we stayed out an d went for beers before heading home and having a pizza/movie night. Sunday was chillax to the max, Lunch with Alex, the two Neils, Sarah and Ken then home for curried soup and skype night!

That’s us! We have an exciting few months coming up, off to New Zealand next week and Brisbane a couple of week after both times to watch the rugby. I’m back in the UK in July then planning a Kimberelys/Western Australia trip later that month....all go here. Everyone seems to have been quiet over there...am hoping it’s because it’s so hot you’re out doors all the time!!!????  

About partners-in-crime


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.