Existing Member?

A life less ordinary What started out as 12months in Sydney has turned into a great adventure - taking in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and now 'home' in Dubai.

From Sunshine to Gold in a few days.....

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 1 February 2010 | Views [663]

Part of it is Sunshine Beach

Part of it is Sunshine Beach

Jose and Lucy have proved themselves to be amazing hosts so we jumped at the invite to join them for a weekend on the Sunshine coast and also to celebrate Jose’s 30th Birthday and Australia Day down in the Gold Coast.

We set off Friday late afternoon, arriving at Brisbane airport. Jose met us and took us back to his new home in a nice suburb of Brisbane. They had only slept two nights in their new home and are still in the process of furnishing it, but it will be even nicer once everything is in. So after the grand tour we settled down to a glass of red and pizza before loading up the Ute and heading off up the coast to Noosa. We arrived 2 hours later to Lucy’s family holiday home....it was so nice and we were excited about seeing it in day light. Needless to say after a long week it wasn’t long before we were in bed soundo!

We woke the next morning to clear blue skies and fresh coffee delivered by Jose! Up and dressed in no time all we devoured a delicious breakfast of mango, yoghurt and granola before heading off. We were to walk up the coast to Noosa town centre through the national pack and along some amazing beaches. We started on sunshine beach and climbed up into the National Park and around the headland and it wasn’t long before the next beautiful beach was spotted.  Before we landed ourselves on the nudist Alexandria Beach we saw a sea turtle and a group of porpoises in the ocean. Back down on the beach Daire was admiring the firm butt of an old nudist dude whilst the rest of us dodged the blue bottles that had washed up on the sand. There were also 4 or 5 of these massive jelly fish...I mean MASSIVE. Check out the pictures and look how big it is compared to Lucy’s feet!!!  We stopped at the other end of the beach for a dip in the waves...the water was like a bath and so so clear it was beautiful, but serious waves that saw me get completely dumped as one caught me unawares.

Conscious of time, the trainers were back on as we re-entered the National Park to walk around and through the next headline...this time what we saw in the distance when we came around the corner was the longest beach we have ever seen!! It was beautiful....walking almost along the water’s edge we passed little coves with equally beautiful beaches. We also saw a couple of Koalas up in the trees as we entered Little Cove. We treated ourselves to another dip in the sea, this time the ocean really was like a bath, no big waves but clear and warm. So refreshing...

After our morning activities we were all ravenous but Lucy had the perfect spot booked for lunch.  Sat almost on the beach we feasted on a fish lunch, barramundi fillet, risotto, linguini and fishcakes all washed down with a chilled Chardonnay. We took a walk up Hastings Street – it felt like a really ‘holiday’ street and was full of little boutiques. The shopping was too much for Jose who had to retire back to the beach so Lucy, Daire and I pushed on.....oddly it was Daire who made the first and only purchase that day. He picked up a pair of ‘thongs’ with a bottle opener built into the sole!!!! Back at the House Lucy’s sister Prue and her boyfriend James had arrived with the dog for Sunday’s lunch so we chilled for a few hours taking in the later afternoon sun and listening to the ocean that was only a few meters away. A short walk to dinner and we were welcomed with another lovely fish meal in town. I was SO relaxed I was shattered and literally falling asleep in my wine! After Daire had led me home I said hello and good night to everyone including Lucy’s parents Tim and Gina who had driven up whilst we were out.

Another amazing night’s sleep and Daire got up for an early morning dip before breakfast – I am sure it was hotter than Saturday so after breakfast we were back down on beach and in the ocean.  Hunger again drove us back to the House where Tim had already set to work with the Spatchcock on the Barbeque. We all sat down to a lovely lunch followed by an afternoon sleep. I had to fly back to Sydney that evening as work is getting busy so Jose, Daire and Lucy dropped me at a very quiet Maroochydore airport.

......over to Daire...

We continued on the Brisbane after dropping LJ off, with the day bed strapped to the back of the Ute – 75kph all the way to Brissie. Unloaded at the new home in Brisbane then chilled out for the evening. 6.30am Brekkie with Jose before work, then Lucy brought me into the GOMA (gallery of modern art) – The Asian Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art exhibit was on and a fantastic show – very interactive for the little ‘uns and meself – GOMA is also where Lucy and Jose had their wedding reception the prior May.

Had a Winechap lunch with Jose and some Brisbane wine guys, followed by a stroll around Brisbane River.  Jose and Lucy are going through the process of furnishing the house, so Jose and I headed off in the UTE to get one of the ‘essentials’ – the beer fridge! 2nd hand but assured that it ‘keeps you beer cold’ by the previous owner, the house immediately began to have a more homely feel...

We drove down to Currumbin on the Gold Coast where Jose’s parents live during the English winters – paradise on earth. BBQ and plenty of red wine (on my wite shirt) and chat rounded off a great day. Early morning swim and a hearty breakfast followed before preparations for the 20 seating of lunch on the terrace/balcony to celebrate Jose’s 30th birthday and Australia Day. Many of Jose’s immediate family were there and the chat was fantastic. Unfortunately I had a 4pm flight so had to leave the party in full-flow in order to get back to Sydney to see Florence and the Machine play at the Metro that night. Rounded off another action packed and fantastic weekend.

About partners-in-crime


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.