Existing Member?

A life less ordinary What started out as 12months in Sydney has turned into a great adventure - taking in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and now 'home' in Dubai.

Gilmores of Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 20 January 2010 | Views [362]

Hurricane Mick and Anne hit Sydney on Friday Friday the 8th of January. Landing in the airport next to Botany Bay in slightly better conditions then previous Irish visitors over the centuries, courtesy of Singapore Airlines Business class. Took them for a gentle stroll along the harbour along Woolloomooloo, around McQuaries Chair to the Opera House where we had a drink to cool off. Finished off with a barbie at home. They were staying up the road from our place, close to the Kings Cross fountain (where the double croissant and cappuccino started every morning)

On Saturday, Laura took Ma for some much needed girl time. A hair-doo was followed by a mani and pedi at Bondi Junction was followed by brekkie back in Potts Point. 2 very glamorous girls joined us for the Barbie at Paul and David Durkan’s in Monterey. Fantastic day out full of eating, drinking and swimming hosted by Jackie, Paul’s girlfriend.

On Sunday, after a swim in Wolloomooloo pool, we headed over to Manly Beach for a swim and a sunbathe. A light evening meal was requested so we headed to the Brazillian all-you-can eat meat Churasco in East Sydney. Average intake was approx 1.2kg of meat each, although somewhat influenced by Dad’s 2.5kgs!

Monday was overcast, so Ma and Dad took the Sydney Explorer bus around the city to get their Sydney bearings.  They took themselves off to a Sel et Poivre restaurant in the evening. Dad popped into David Campese’s Goosestep Cafe and had photos and a jersey signed by Campo.

On Tuesday, I had to do a bit of work, and sent them off to Redleaf beach on the harbour via the shops in Double Bay. We met them later in the evening at Otto restaurant in Cowper Wharf (where Russell Crowe, and Brian McFadden live!!!)

On Wednesday, i took Dad for a hair chop at (Napoli) Tony’s in Kings Cross. Best haircut in years professed Dad, which took about 10 years and half the circumference of the head from him. We took a cruise around the harbour in the afternoon, seeing all the bays and coves of Sydney harbour.  We hosted a bbq for Ken and Gill Slevin’s parents in the rain in the evening.

On Thursday, they hopped on the Bondi Explorer, which brought them all around the eastern suburbs. We had dinner again at Sel & Poivre then on to the Victoria Rooms for after dinner drink

On Friday, we did a walking tour of the Rocks, the oldest part of Sydney, next to circular quay. They walked up to the Queen Victoria Building. To round off a great week, we ate at Mad Cow, the Ivy restaurant, although had to dance our way through the throngs of hipsters getting groovy on a Friday night. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

About partners-in-crime


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.