Existing Member?

A life less ordinary What started out as 12months in Sydney has turned into a great adventure - taking in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and now 'home' in Dubai.

Kings of Queensland

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 8 September 2009 | Views [861]

We flew up to Brisbane on Friday afternoon to spend the weekend with Jose and Lucy, having missed their wedding in May. Checked in at One Thornbury - a fantastic small & quaint hotel in the centre of Brisbane. Went for a walk along the Riverside and had a few beers at the Broadwalk overlooking Brisbane river just as Brisbane's finest arrived in for their end-of-week relaxers. Met with Jose, Dane and Charles (who just happened to be passing by with a jug of beer and a single glass in his hand). A few nice glasses of sauv blanc and little creatures pale ale over a catch up conversation, soon descended into rounds of 3 jugs of beer between 5, served by the effervescent Chloe. Met with ‘Grandad’ and his South African mates, curiously not staying in town for the Australia vs. South Africa tri-nations game the next day in Brisbane.

Slight respite in the pace to wolf down some barramundi and a burger before heading to the ‘Roundhouse’ of Brisbane, Fridays, with the South African lads in tow. Great, if a bit blurry, view of the Brisbane river from Fridays and good fun until the Bundaberg Rums came out followed by Tequila shots. Vague recollection escaping the boys clutches and cabbing home about 300 yards to the tranquil, yet modern hotel.

Feeling terrible the next day, with the 7.30-9am brekkie window a fairy-tale, we dragged ourselves to the Coffee Club before walking around the relaxed city centre of Brisbane. Back to the hotel for an afternoon nap, before city-cruising it up the Brisbane river to Hamilton, where Jose hosted a Sausage-only BBQ (our first BBQ in Oz) with Lucy’s family. After the sausage-fest, we headed to Suncorp stadium to see the Wallabies whip the Boks 21-6 despite the best efforts of the English referee. Ignoring the half-hearted suggestions of a nightcap, all headed for a much needed sleep.

Arose at 8 to meet Jose and Lucy and headed to the marina at Horizon Shores and went out on a 21 footer with brothers and skippers Joe and Liam O’Brien and Sarah, Lucy’s sister. Joe took us out past Kangaroo and Woogoompha Islands towards South Stradbrooke Island on a beautiful sunny day. Some went for a swim followed by a walk ashore on to South Stradbrooke. Jose’s attempts to pull in Jaws4 didn’t go that well.

We continued down the coast by car to Currumbin, the amazing Australian home of the Coulson’s. Fresh prawns overlooking the Gold Coast from the terrace for lunch. Chilled out exploring the house, before afternoon nap then experiencing the lion-tamer at work – Jose taking on the BBQ. Variety of meats this time; steaks and sausages and a couple of Penfolds Cabernets to wash it down! 

Woke up after the most relaxed 10 hour sleep to the sounds of a symphony of birds in the sanctuary below. Jumped in the 19° water to wake up properly, followed by a quick lunch before heading to Gold Coast airport, 5 minutes away. Big thanks to Jose and Lucy for a fantastic and memorable weekend.

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: beaches, boating, drinks, rugby

 

About partners-in-crime


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.