Existing Member?

A life less ordinary What started out as 12months in Sydney has turned into a great adventure - taking in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and now 'home' in Dubai.

Singapore

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 24 August 2009 | Views [525] | Comments [3]

We thought we'd take the opportunity to break the long flight over here by stopping in Singapore with Daire's friends Christina and Justin.

We arrived after a long flight at 6.30am on Thursday 21st August, first impressions were amazing!!! Singapore airport was the nicest, quietist and fastest airport we have been in....coul we just stay there!?!? Oh hang on we were just stupidly jet lagged and feeling very disorientated!

4 days of wandering around, sight seeing, eating, drinking, laughing and spending-over-an-hour-sheltering-from-the-rain-under-a-tree ensued!! 

Having done no research Daire and I relied almost exclusively on the direction of our hosts and the list that Danielle's dad gave us! Day one we ventured out along the river up to Clarkes Quay before dying of tiredness, a snooze later (plus a good few beers) and we were tucking into chilli crab on the east coast. We ahve nevcer had crab like it and never eaten such a messy meal! It was great!

Day two started well, I'd gotr super organised and pointed us out an intinerary for the day. It started when we walked up into Fort Canning Park (practically the highest point in Singapore) be the time we had arrived at the top a full blown lightning and thunder storm was under way....we sheltered under a tree for over an hour....soaked and cold we descended PDQ wandering around the Colonial district and enjoying a winning lunch in Maggie's chinese noodle and thai place: a beer well earned too!!!!

Later that night we took Chrissie and Justin to the night safari and they took us to the banana leaf curry house where we ate off a banana leaf, wirth our hands and sampled one of Singapore's signature dishes 'fish head curry', the boys ate the eyes and everything!!!

We then went for a walk along boat quay, then into china town managing to stumble across some of the best 24 hour eating places! Although didn't like the sound of pig organ soup!!!! We went kayaking in the afternoon into the sewer that surrounds Singapore, it was pretty serene and peaceful though.

SATURDAY NIGHT..Raffles, Singapore Sling; Swissotel, Champagne and amazing view; Oso, 5 courses of amazing italian, red wine and grappa; Clarke Quay, the boys taking their tops off in the club!!! Perfect night I'd say!?

Sunday = hangover. Headed up to Orchard Road for brunch next to the Thai embassey, hangled for a new camera and chilled out with German beer and a pretzel before heading to the airport!!!

Great weekend, thanks to Chrissie and Justin. Fantastic City, can't wait to go back!!

 

Comments

1

Sounds like you well and truly lived up Singy?! Glad you went to Oso - such a nice place!

I'm very disappointed to see that you didn't try Frog Porridge (my particular favourite!)....

Hope you're enjoying Sydney!

Muchos Love xxx

  Danielle Aug 26, 2009 10:47 PM

2

Didn't try the porridge.....looked yukky...Danielle don't you fob me off now!! :)

Can't wait to go back to see Sarah and Nic (Flavin of course!)

xx

  Laura-Jayne Aug 26, 2009 10:55 PM

3

Now you know why I was so unhappy to come home !
A great island and glad you enjoyed Maggie's and Ozo, not to mention Raffles ( a girl friend is a waitress at the bar in the courtyard) and my morning walk rain or no rain around Canning Park where I saw INXS which brings us back to Aus. Enjoy yourselves - very very jealous.

Malcolm x
PS - Thanks for the book Daire.

  Malcolm Aug 31, 2009 5:38 AM

About partners-in-crime


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.