Existing Member?

A Couple's Encounters

Down the Gold Coast

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 29 April 2011 | Views [492]

Scouts Honour:  First weekend away since landing in Brisbane almost a month ago so we’re extremely excited!!!  After three trips up and down in the lift to load up our little Hyundai Getz rental car with all our camp gear, we’re good to go.  We hit the open road of Pacific highway for our first experience of all the Gold Coast has to offer.  First stop Main Beach.  All those months in scouts have finally paid off.  The sun is splitting the trees as I coordinate while Jim puts up the tent! Haha  All that ‘work’ wore us out so after some tucker at the surf club we headed to the beach for the day to relax.  After a few hours on the beach the next day we decided to take a drive down the coast for a wander around Surfers Paradise.  It has a real Miami vibe to it with all the high rise buildings just off the beach front.  The town was hopping and the beach was swarmed with people out watching a leg of the Surf Lifesaving Championships.  After enough playing with the new camera taking shots like we were real professionals we were homeward bound and back to Brizzie for another weeks work.

There are worlds within worlds:  Today we caught a tour bus down the coast to check out the world heritage rainforest of Springbrook National Park.  We spent the day visiting picturesque waterfalls at Natural Arch and Twin Falls.  We trekked down the bush paths to check out these stunning waterfalls from every angle.  Down at Twin Falls we walked in under the waterfall and stood in amazement while the droplets of mist from the waterfall landed on our faces.  The air was so fresh it was like being in a different world there.  I loved every minute of it.  Unfortunately when we drove up to the Best of all Lookouts it was too foggy so we couldn’t see a thing.  Before we headed back up the coast we stopped off at the grotto to catch a glimpse of 10,000 glow worms lighting up the ceiling like stars in the night.  Though I was somewhat sceptic when told it’s a secret as to how they got all the glow worms in there and how they look after them.  All in all it was a fantastic day out.  The waterfalls were incredible and all the fresh air wore us out so much we went for a little snooze on the bus trip home.

Tags: glow worms, main beach, springbrook national park, surfers paradise, waterfalls

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.