Existing Member?

A Couple's Encounters

Moreton Bay

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 29 April 2011 | Views [489]

Point Lookout Shark Feeding Frenzy:  Next stop, North Straddie.  Luckily we didn’t listen to the weather forecast which predicted rain and storms all weekend.  The weather was glorious.  According to Lonely Planet North Stradbroke Island is one of Moreton Bay’s gems and it isn’t wrong.  It’s a great escape from Brisbane for a weekend just off the Queensland coast.  We’d done all the lonely planet reading and decided to stay at Point Lookout on the Northern tip of the island.  What an incredible weekend.  To quote Jim ‘It’s the best place we’ve been in Australia so far’.  Need I say more?  Right well what we got up to:  We caught trains, ferries and buses to get there and eventually landed at our hostel early afternoon.  The weather was gorgeous so we panned out on the nearest beach to top up the tan for the day.  Sunday we made our way around Point Lookout’s short coastal walk across the beautiful headland.  We couldn’t believe what we saw.  Schools of bait fish lined the waters beneath the headland close to shore, chased by sharks in a feeding frenzy.  It was like something you’d only ever watch on TV.  At first we thought they were masses of black seaweed in the water until we could see what was happening.  We watched the sharks swim into shallow waters to feed on the bait fish just off Straddies Main Beach.  Understandably Main Beach was closed for the day so later we walked a couple of beaches over to Cylinder Beach where we spent the rest of the day lying out in the sun and swimming in the warm 23° sea water.  We figured there were lots of lifeguards on duty and helicopters flying overhead keeping an eye on the sharks so we were ok to swim.  Plus I always made sure there was someone else out further than me that in the event of a shark actually coming near it would eat that person first!  Good plan.  After another relaxing day on the beach it was back to Brizzie with us.

Tags: bait fish, beaches, north straddie island, sharks

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.