Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Highways And Sidewalks: Hello Los Angeles

USA | Wednesday, 13 May 2009 | Views [552]

My time in New Zealand finaly came to an end. I had my last flat white at the airport before checking in, waiting waaay to long for my flight to be ready and then got on the plane. The flight was pretty ok. Plenty of movies to choose from, I went for In Bruges, Seven Pounds and Valkyre. Pretty disapointed with the first two but the last was good. I managed to get some sleep too so I don't feel quite as jetlagged as I might have. Sleeping in the same position for about 6 hours gives you a sore bumbum though. There was really bad turbulance aswell, the worst I've ever flown through. The plane shook pretty badly for quite a long time, my coffee spilled everywhere. Scary stuff.

Tweleve hours after departing New Zealand, and I had arrived in Los Angeles, California. My view out of the plane window was limited but I could confirm the rumors I had heard, LA is absolutely massively hugely big. I made my way off of the plane and into the terminal to be greeted by LAX's super secure customs. After having all of my fingerprints and my retina scanned, they let me collect my bag. From there I headed outside the terminal. I was quite releived when atleast 3 very helpful ariport staff asked me if I knew where I was going and needed any help. I was directed towards a member of the Super Shuttle staff. Super Shuttle are like a shared taxi/bus that take you right to the door of your hostel.

Forty minutes later, after a drive along textbook LA style highways, I arrived outside my hostel, in Santa Monica. I proceded to pay $20 to the bus driver using one $10 note and one $100 note. Thankfully he was an honest man and pointed out my mistake, he wasn't getting that much of a tip.

The hostel I'm staying in is really nice, kind of like the Base chain in NZ but much quieter and cleaner. Everything I could need for the next week. They organise tours and stuff too, tomorrow I'm signed up for a bus trip to Malibu.

I got myself settled in, had a bit of a shower and gave my maw a call to let her know I was here safe and sound. After, I decided to take a look around the area and see what I could find. The hostel is about 5 minutes walk from the beach. I took a walk along it, or the atleast along the road beside it and breathed in the not so fresh sea air. The street again was typical how I imagine LA in my mind, with palm trees lining eitherside of the sidewalk. The beach it's self really wasn't anything special after having seen what NZ has to offer, but it'll be perfect for sunbathing once the sun peaks out just a little bit more.

After checking out the beach I headed inland towards the shops and cafes of 3rd Street Prominad. Again, all the streets are lined with trees and there are the kind of people you expect to see in LA, walking along on their cell with their shades on talking in a nippy as hell voice. I sat and had a coffee and a bit of a read, and took in my surroundings. It's amazing how many homeless people I've seen already, and I hear other areas of LA are worse. I'm going to have to get used to ignoring them, backpackers cant afford to donate!

Tonight I just plan on chilling out, and I plan on doing that for most of the next week to be honest. New Zealand was my time for adventure and exploring. LA is going to be for relaxing, I'm going to be a typical tourist. I've already signed up for one tour and I have a couple of others in mind. I'll do them, see the sights, hopefully get myself a bit of a tan and, before long, I'll be on my way back to the UK.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.