Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Swinging Over Shotover Canyon

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 1 May 2009 | Views [1113] | Comments [6]

I dragged myself out of bed (how many of my entries start with me getting out of bed early; too many...) and down to the canyon swing base in Queenstown. Here I filled in some forms and then was made to watch a DVD of loads of people doing the swing that I was about to do. I wasn't nervous at all after having done the Nevis bungy, just really looking forward to it. By half 8 I was the only person in the place and I was starting to wonder if I was going to be up there by myself. Thankfully a couple came in who were also doing it.

We jumped into their van and were taken on a 10 minute ride up to their base at the top of the canyon. The driver stuck on a DVD on the wya up that showed all the different ways you can jump off, or all the most popular, your allowed to jump off any way you choose. I spent some time thinking them over and decided I would go for a backwards one, since I had jumped forwards off of Nevis. The bus felt strangely like being back at home; the driver was from Peebles and one of the couple was from Glasgow but had went to college in Gala.

We arrived up top and took a look at the amazing view over the canyon. It was a really nice place to be jumping off of. We emptied our pockets and were harnessed up. I was now very nervous, probably more so than when I bungied, which was unexpected. I was brave though and volunteered to go first. The guys who were running it all, the driver from Peebles and another Kiwi guy, were really cool. So so layed back and just had a bit of a laugh about it all. I was given a quick run down of what I was to do, was attatched to the rope and then hung over the edge for a picture.

Then I prepared for my jump. I had to lean back slightly, do a little jump and then I would just fall. I did and it was amazing. It was a completley different sensation from bungy, especially jumping backwards. I let out a bit of an involuntry scream which was slightly embarassing. Unlike bungy where you slow down, you continue to pick up speed with the canyon swing which was really scary, you feel yourself moving so fast. After I arced into my swing I sat and took in the view while I was wenched up. I decided that, as it was so cheap to have another go, I had to do it.

The 2nd time I went for a jump that they call "Gimp Boy Goes To Hollywood". Basically they swing you out so your hanging by the rope over the ledge, then you have to swing your legs up around the rope, let your hands dangle toward the ground, and arch your back so that your hanging completley upside down. This time they would pull a strap that let me fall. They were nice enough to take my by suprise and let me go just after they asked me a question and I was about to answer. This swing was equally as scary, not slowing down atall as you plummet towards the ground really gets adrenaline pumping.

I don't think it was QUITE as good as my bungy, possibly because I did the bungy first, but it was still so so amazing and so worth it, I'll definitely do it again if I come back to Queenstown.

I was going to save all my dvd's until I got home but since it was already in the right format and stuff I've uploaded the first swing I did on youtube. I'll save the 2nd one for when I come home!

Today if it gets a bit warmer I think I'm going to head up the gondola (cable car type thing) and get some cool views over Queenstown and see whats all up there. Or I might be keen and walk up. Later a few of us are supposed to be going to Minus 5; a bar where everything is made of ice, I look forward to it.

Comments

1

Oh My God!!!

  Mum May 1, 2009 6:45 PM

2

you dare devil

  deepthroat May 1, 2009 10:41 PM

3

That was totally amazing, you are so brave!!!

  Tracy, Rob and Kids May 2, 2009 12:56 AM

4

Oh JEEZ!!

:O:O My goodness!!

  Ashley May 2, 2009 2:19 AM

5

Rather you than us!!!!!!! Looked anazing. Well done

  Dad, Bev, Chris and Alex May 3, 2009 3:10 AM

6

Hey obonini! We liked your video and decided to feature it this week so that others could enjoy it too!

Happy travels!

~World Nomads

  World Nomads May 19, 2009 3:30 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.