Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Falling Over Taupo

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 3 April 2009 | Views [1153] | Comments [2]

This morning I got a long lie! Untill 10am when our bus picked us up and took us to do 2 hours worth of walks while some people finished off black water rafting. The first walk was through some woodland, there were some cool caves and a big river, Quite pretty. The second was like a farm trail. It started off ok but then we ended up trekking through feild full of cows. Not so cool.

We headed over to the cafe to get the others and, after a cup of soup, we set off. We didn't stop at all today, just going straight through to Taupo from Waitomo.

When we arrived in Taupo, before dropping us at our hostel, we were taken to Huka falls. It was amazing, it was pretty huge and had really blue water. We jumped back on the bus and headed over to check in at our hostel, run by the same people who own the Auckland and Rotorua ones that I stayed it.

I had just enough time to drop off my bags when a van came and picked up those of us who were going sky diving! We were taken to the airfield where we were shown some sample dvd's that we could buy of us when we were diving. Since there was already half a plane heading up, only 3 of our group were taken up so I had to wait around for ages.

We were called up to get our equipment on; a jumpsuit, a stupid hat with goggles on and my harness. I was amazed how calm I had stayed. We met our jump masters, the men who would be strapped to our backs, mines was called Amos, and our camera men for those of us getting dvds.

The plane was tiny, way smaller than I expected. The walls were really thin metal and inside was just 2 big bench things that we all had do sit with our legs over each side. Pretty squishy and unomfy. The plane took off and we made our way up.

On the way up my jumpmaster strapped my harness to his and told me how i should jumop out of the plane and what I should when we were out. Some of the poeple on the plane were jumping out at 12,000ft and, as I was jumping at 15,000, I had to watch them go first. Even then I wasn't scared.

Those of us left in the plane had oxygen masks. My jumpmaster shoved mines over my face and shuffled forward towards the door. I was next. NOW I scared.

As we made the final acsent I tried really hard to keep calm, i was a bit shakey with fear but at the same time I couldnt wait. The views from the plane window were amazing so they could only get better when I jumped out.

The door was opened and my camera man jumped out first. Me and my jumpmaster moved over to the edge. I had to sit down with my legs tucked as far under the plane as I could. I also had to hold my harness and put my head back as far as i could. The head part I didnt do very well and, as you will see if you watch the DVD, Amos almost rips my head off.

We jumped. For the first few seconds, as a human who has never jumped before, your senses get a bit overloaded and you don't quite know whats going on (so we were told anyway). The first thing I remember noticing is the pain in my ears, they were so sore haha, and it became alot harder to breathe than normal. I came to terms with what was going on and felt amazing. My camera man was just in front of us so I gave him a bit smile and a thumbs up. It was such an amazing view but I wish I had payed more attention, I dont remember it very well, probably beacause I was too busy thinking about how i had just jumped out of a plain.

Amos pulled the parachute after about 60 seconds and my legs kind of dropped so I could lift them when we landed. All the blood rushed to them and they felt very strange. We slowly drifted towards the ground, watching the sun set behind Taupo Lake as we went. It was so so so so so so so SO amazing.

When we were on the ground we took all of our gear off and went to watch our DVD, we all get the same one it shows everyone on the plane. We jumped back in the van and headed to the hostel, all feeling very chuffed with ourselves.

This week has been insane, I've done so much and I'm having such a good time.

I'm about to head to Burger Fuel for tea cos I am one hungry boy. Tonight I'd imagine I'll just have an early night since I get picked up at 6.20!!! to do the Tongariro Crossing, a massive 8 hour trek. It's gonna be hard work but should have awesome scenery. Im so so so annoyed, when I went to jump on the sky diving van I was in a hurry cos I didn't realise it was there and I left my camera memory card in a computer. When I got back it was gone. Im praying someone hands it in to reception, they havn't as of yet. Not only does it have all the pictures I haven't had time to upload, ill only be able to take about 10 pictures tomorrow!

 

Comments

1

WOW, what a week. Hope your memory card turns up tho :(

  Mum Apr 3, 2009 6:41 PM

2

Sounds like youv had an amazing week! Im well jealous! Hope your really enjoying yourself!

Hope you manage to find your memory card!

Love you

  Ashley Apr 4, 2009 2:44 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.