Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Am I In Baywatch?

USA | Thursday, 14 May 2009 | Views [524] | Comments [2]

Last night I discovered the only supermarket close enough to walk to from my hostel happens to be Whole Foods; selling only the finest expensive organic products. They actually arn't that pricey, I compared when I was in another supermarket today, but I still don't have the option of "saver" or "value" stuff. Anyway, I spent half an hour looking for decent quality veg, grabbed a few other things and headed back to the hostel to make tea. Hopefully I can live of off what I have for the rest of the week to save money. I'm sure it would be possible, I might get sick of boiled and fried veg though. The rest of the night I spent doing crosswords, from my flashy new crossword book, in bed. How old woman of me.

I rose from sleep this morning and headed downstairs to see what the hostels free breakfast was like. All you can eat buffet breakfasts can never go wrong really. A bagel, some toast and a bowl of bran flakes later, and it was about time for the tour of Malibu I had signed up for the following day. There were are a fair few people doing it so it was a nice chance to meet some of the pople staying at my hostel. We got aquainted and met our guide for the day, a German guy who also was a backpacker but had a job guiding for now. He also did a spot on Arnold Swchartzeneger impression which was hillarious. I didn't realise that we would be walking for so much of the tour, but well, turns out we were.

We were given day passes for the bus and headed down to the bus stop to catch it. A rather long bus ride later, we arrived at Malibu Peir, unknown to me before now but apparently famous. It was ok to see but really nothing special. Was alright checking out the expensive looking houses over the road and also a huge live crab that the mad old Hong Kong lady from our group kept feeling the need to pick up.

From the peir we went back to the bus stop, waited for the next bus and headed on over to Malibu Beach. Again, nothing compared to the beaches in NZ but I'm not going to see any that are over here. We had a walk along it, seen some lifeguards, complete with red shorts and floating-thingys.

It was lunch time, and time to catch the bus to a supermarket. I, being on a budget like a few others in my group, had brought sandwiches with me. We then took the bus again to a further away beach called Dume Beach (I Think). It was actually pretty nice. It was really empty and their were a few vollyball nets. The sun had gotten it's self out properly now so I slapped on the suncream and had a bit of a sunbathe. Walking across the sand was near impossibly it was so hot.

We lay around on the beach for about an hour until it was time for our last stop, Malibu shopping plaza. Our guide told us that it wasn't uncommon to see celebrities around the place. I kept my eyes peeled but didn't have much luck. I had a look at some of the pricey shops and then it was back onto the bus to where we had started. On the way our guide pointed out one of Sylvester Stilones beach houses. It was blue.

Tonight its more of the usual nothingness. I'm really really tired for some reason so I think I'll be having an early night. I finished my book before so I might live on the edge and do some more crosswords. In someways I kind of cant be bothered with LA and just want to get home to see everyone but I shouldn't wish it away, it's not like I have long left.

Tomorrow I'm going to book a proper bus tour that shows me round pretty much all of LA. It's not the cheapest but it seems one of the better value ones and I get a discount with my hostel. Hopefully by then I'll have seen most of the important sights. If there are any that I want to spend more time at I feel confident enough to take local buses there now. I'm also considering spending a day at Universal Stuidos.

Comments

1

It was blue!! LOL you obviously weren’t impressed!

  Mum May 14, 2009 6:43 PM

2

I'm just guessing you're not too impressed with LA :-) Not long till you're back home now.
Love from all of us xxxxxx

  Tracy May 14, 2009 11:52 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.