Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Tower In The Sky

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 23 March 2009 | Views [329]

suhaimi alberto owen

suhaimi alberto owen

Tonight I met up with Alberto and his two friends Alex and Suhaimi again to go for a meal in the revolving resturaunt. Unfortunatley Beren couldn't be with us tonight as, I was very shocked to hear, he took a heart attack at the weekend! He is in hospital just now and apparently is doing ok, he had high spirit when Alberto visited him today. He's having some tests done and they are hoping that it is just a minor issue and he should be ok! I wish him well.

After parking in the absolutely massive car park beneath the Sky Tower we made our way to the lifts and headed up. The lifts have glass panels in the floor so you can watch yourself get further and further away from the ground which turns your stomach a little and the glass panel in the wall gives you a great view of Auckland the further you get up. Before we headed to the resturaunt we stood in the viewing area for a bit. It was a really nice day and the views from there are amazing. There are glass panels in the floor and hugh glass windows all the way round that give you an amazing view of Auckland and let you look right down onto the roads and buildings below you. On the way up in the lift we met a girl who was about to do the Sky Jump, a more controlled bunjee jump, so we waited around to see her do it which was pretty cool.

We jumped back in the lift and headed up some more to Observatory, the revolving resturaunt. The doors of the lift opened and we were imediatley welcomed and taken to our table by one of the very professional looking waiting staff. Since ive never been in a revolving resuruant before it was pretty weird sitting eating while you move round, was cool though and it gave you an amazing view over the whole of Auckland.

I ordered the only vegetarian main on the menu; aubergine and peppers on a bed of white bean stuff wi some spinach and onion fritter type things. It was worded slightly differently on the menu. It was veeeery tastey. Was well impressed. I'd go again if it wasnt so pricey haha. For pudpuds I had chocolatae brownie with white chocolate mousse and blackberry compote, was amazing, I reckon I might have to have a go at recreating it when i get home!

We finished up our meal just as the sun was setting giving us a different but equally as awesome view of Auckland. We decided we would head somewhere else for a coffee since we didnt fancy being ripped off at the Sky Tower and so we headed over to Ponsoby again, where we had lunch a few days before. We went to a bar there called Dorothy's Sister that Alberto knew of. It was very... different. Nice enough place none the less and I had an awesome mocha in A BOWL. Thats how they do their coffees over here, New Zealanders are very serious about their coffee.

Alberto dropped me off at my hostel again and said he was going to be in town on Wedensday and Friday so if I'm still around then we're going to meet up again for some lunch. He also said that he would have a talk with some of his contacts about getting me a job which was very kind of him.

Just killing some time on the internet at the hostel now. Spoke to Stephen on msn, was good. I need to think of something to do tomorrow.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.