Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Milano Baby!

ITALY | Friday, 6 March 2009 | Views [521] | Comments [1]

I have finally made it to Italy- after all this time! Home of pizza, pasta, risotto, gelato and lots of Italian people. The wait had been much too long. We arrived in Milan after another very long train ride. We found our way to our hotel after only getting lost twice and having to be directed by two nice young men in a much swankier hotel and a lovely little old lady. Bags dropped off, there was no time to waste- gelato was calling me….quite loudly (I would end up having it about 5 times in the next 2 days!). Gelato in hand, then happily in stomach, we set off to look at all the things I would never be able to justify buying. Prada, Gucci, Versace, Fendi…..all ridiculously expensive, and kind of depressing in a way- purely for the fact that I would never own them. There is no way, whatsoever, I will ever be able to justify to myself spending over 500 Euro on a handbag, no matter how nice it is, and it depresses me that there are people in this world who don’t even bother to look at prices. And looking at the amount of people carrying numerous designer shopping bags there is no shortage of buyers in this area. I had to content myself with eating more gelato, and having a gorgeous dinner of spaghetti carbonara. It really does taste better in Italy.

 

The next day was a full day of looking at things I couldn’t afford, looking at big pretty churches, and eating more gelato. I really don’t think that it is possible to eat too much! I bought a dress for a wedding I was going to. Yes me, Nadia, bought a dress, in Milan, without being forced. It may have been from Zara but I still like to refer to it as the dress I bought in Milan, and I have worn it quite a lot. I think it only cost about 35 Euro, but that’s not the point, I bought a dress, in Milan.

 

I also ate real Italian lasagne. I like my mums better! It was washed down with one of the best rockmelon gelatos I have ever had so I will forgive them that. More wandering, more window shopping, Emma bought a Versace handbag so expensive I nearly fainted, and I made a solo trip to the train station to buy us tickets to Padova for the following day. I’m very proud of myself for this one. Seeing as the guy I bought the tickets off spoke about as much English as I spoke Italian. I really am getting pretty good at this travel thing! (And no I didn’t have to make loud train noises! Toot toot!)

 

Dinner was pizza, which was cheap, tasty, and bloody huge! I think there also may have been more gelato involved at some stage……

 

Tomorrow we are off to Padua to watch the Wallabies play Italy in the rugby. Good times, can’t wait….hopefully they have gelato there……

Tags: italy

Comments

1

I think I might possibly be the only unemployed person (who's not independently rich) to decide a Versace bag was a must have. I do absolutely love it though!

  Emma Apr 29, 2009 11:27 PM

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.