Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

Ho ho ho etc.

FINLAND | Saturday, 2 August 2008 | Views [526]

I’ve met the real Santa. Not the fake ones that they have in shopping malls and the like, but the real one, in Finland. He lives in a wonderfully commercial place above the Arctic Circle in a place called Rovaniemi. So ho ho ho and all that.

 

After a long drive from Norway we reached Finland and it was nice to be in the land of Euros again. I once again didn’t have to do complex mathematical calculations to find out how much things cost which was a big relief. Strangely enough Santa land wasn’t as “Christmassy” as I was hoping. You couldn’t buy candy canes, or see real reindeer, there certainly weren’t as many elves as would be expected. I guess Santa’s workshop was having a summer holiday.

 

We were still experiencing the midnight sun and I was bored that evening so I decided to go for a lovely walk. I wandered along for a while looking at the scenery, thinking that it was a bit quiet. Turns out the reason why it was quiet was because it was after midnight. No wonder the few people I did see in cars driving past gave me funny looks! I could totally get used to it though. It really is the perfect time to get some exercise.

 

Tomorrow its southwards again.

Tags: finland

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.