Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

There is nothing like a Dane

DENMARK | Wednesday, 16 July 2008 | Views [555] | Comments [1]

Ahhhhh Copenhagen….what can I say? Well for a start it was pretty damn cool. I don’t know what I was expecting going to Copenhagen for the first part of our tour. We left early from Berlin and drove north to Rostock to catch a ferry to Denmark. It was lovely. I suppose you could call it my first ‘cruise’; I don’t think that the Manly ferry counts really. This boat had duty free (Baileys in a plastic bottle! Bargain!) Sorry but it was a definite novelty to me. I’ve never really been ‘at sea’ unless you count the ferry to Rottnest Island or the ferry to the Isle of Wight. That kind of sounds dumb doesn’t it? Well I’ve never been on a boat that is travelling to a different country then. And it was pretty cool driving off the boat on our bus and seeing the Denmark sign.

 

The day we arrived we sort of did a sort of mini tour of the city. We went and saw the famous little mermaid statue and I must say it was pretty bloody disappointing. When you see it you’re like ‘is that all?’. I mean it was a nice statue and all but I don’t see what’s so damn exciting about it. I thought it would be bigger. After that we went to this place called Christiania. It’s kind of like a big hippy commune in the middle of some prime real estate in Copenhagen. I had heard stories about it and saw quite an interesting documentary on it before. It was a bit dingy. I don’t know what I was expecting, but what it was, wasn’t what I thought it would be like. Needless to say I didn’t stay long.

 

The next day we did a tour of the city hall (nice – I can see why they hold the Nobel Prize there). After that we went to the royal palace and saw the changing of the guards. Not bad, nice music. Just before the changing started this car drove out with someone sitting in he back, I couldn’t see properly but apparently it was the Queen Margrethe. So it’s pretty nice knowing I’ve been that close to royalty.

In the afternoon we had a cruise through all the canals which was lovely, although very chilly. So much for establishing a Scandi tan – I’m still pasty white!

 

That evening I was going to go to Tivoli gardens, a big amusement park in the city. But in the end some others and I decided that paying a fair bit to get in, and then having to also pay if you wanted to do anything once you were in there was a bit rich for our liking. We’re not made of money!

 

Anyhow, off to Stockholm tomorrow to hopefully see some lovely blonde, tanned young men named Sven.

Tags: denmark

Comments

1

I like your "Witty" headings the best!

  Your big Blister Jul 23, 2008 4:14 PM

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.