Existing Member?

Blurred memories Memoirs of a lost and bewildered Australian chick through Europe.

C. E . Winchester III

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 20 February 2008 | Views [437]

Let me first start by explaining the title. When i first found out that i would be working in Winchester i kept on forgetting the name. Which is kinda dopey especially when i was telling everyone that i got a new job. So, as a way of remembering it i would think about M*A*SH*. You know, the pompous character charles emmerson winchester the 3rd. Well it worked for me! Shut up i'm not a dork!

Anyhow, i finally had a chance to do a bit more exploring the other night and to put it elloquently, WINCHESTER IS BLOODY GORGEOUS! There are about a thousand pubs, and i swear every single block has something historical on it (which is to me, heaven) I went for a walk along the river, which flows quite fast and makes that sort of rushing water sound you would not want to hear if you needed to pee. Along there is an old mill- very authentic, and a section of wall built during the roman occupation.

The main street- the high street- is mostly pedestrianised, it has the whole olde worlde charm with cobblestones, old overhanging buildings, a big monument thingy, a big statue of alfred the great at one end and at the other theres this archway thing that used to be the old westgate of the town. Theres churches, castles, cathedrals, a whopping great old town hall, law courts, museums........i'm definately going to need more than a weekend to explore.

The one bad thing i will say about this place is in reference to the hill. I live nearly at the top of a bloody big hill. The hospital is about a 5 minute easy walk further up, the town is a 10 minute walk down. And unfortunatley what goes down (to do the shopping, see the sights etc. must walk back up that bloody great thing with heavy bags. I swear i've lost weight already because it is the ultimate weight loss tool. You exert so much damn engergy carrying stuff up it there is no such thing as a munchie run, and shopping involves only the bare essentials cos i don't wanna have to carry anything i don't have to up the damn thing! 

Tags: Adventures

About nadscol


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.