Existing Member?

Travels with Janice

WiFi at last!

INDIA | Sunday, 4 January 2015 | Views [247]

Anna getting her mendhi

Anna getting her mendhi

As you can see, I didn't get this posted until Jan 4. Lack of reliable WiFi and I have already used more than my allotment of 3G data. But here it is unedited.

Note: Gonna post this now while there is wifi-- even tho it isn't finished and now we have moved on to Navsari for the wedding festivities.

Tuesday 30 December, day 2, Mumbai.

On Today's agenda: a city tour that we were originally told would be at 9:30 am, but after phoning up the tour company at 10:30 am, we were informed that we were on their list for 2 pm. We made use of our time.

So- yesterday and shopping. First stop was a store called Fabindia. Amazing. They may not be the cheapest, but there you are guaranteed that everything is made in India and fair trade. Anna and I could have spent the entire day in this store. As it was, both of us came out with at least 2 outfits for warm weather. I feel like I even have something I can wear to one of the wedding parties. After that - we spent almost 2 hours acquiring a SIM card for India. First the crowded store to get a number to wait, then we had to go across the street to Asiatic to get a photo made (more shopping while we were waiting on the photo to print as Asiatic has pretty much everything). Then back to the phone store to wait more and then the purchase of the SIM card. Activated at 7pm that evening was code for noon the next day. The next adventure was the Colaba Market - which was lots of sidewalk stalls and tiny vendors. Very crowded. A guy who makes/sells drums pretty much attached himself to us. ( I did not buy a drum because I did not want to haul it around. I know that will come as a shock to many of you. ) He was pretty funny. Anna bought some more clothing in a store we found with really great stuff. Our driver, Mr. Singh, was pretty awesome. We wish we had him today!

After all the shopping adventures, we rested up and then walked down the street to the Taj Mahal Hotel to have drinks and dinner (a splurge) at the historic Harbour Bar, which was the first bar in Mumbai after prohibition. (1933 I think.) we had small plates of chicken, chili cheese toast, and fried prawns. Lovely view of the water and the Gateway of India.

So this morning we thought we were touring at 9:30. Nope-- 2 pm. So we went down the street to "the Taj" for Wifi at Starbucks. Nope-- but we did stoke the fires with a little caffeine. And then decided on an expedition to the Vodafone store because the previously aforementioned SIMM card would not activate. Long walk. No store. Taxi to yesterday's store in Churchgate-- magically we can make the call and make the phone work. Taxi back to hotel and rest up for the tour.

2 pm-- commence driving tour of Mumbai. Our tour guide, Maria, turns out to be an amazing historian with a passion for her country. We get to have Mr. Singh as our driver! A lovely surprise.

We learn (among other things): Bombay was built by the British for the British (kind of like Christchurch, NZ). India was never officially a British territory and the whole self-rule freedom fighter movement (Gandhi et al) was built around this fact. Maria was interested that I do a unit with my EL students that is about Gandhi and uses original documents like his letters to Hitler and Roosevelt.

7:30 pm. I am sitting on a rooftop in Mumbai. Huh? Really? Looking out over the harbour-- drinking a beer-- the pollution has lifted and there is a cool breeze. I like it here. I am not sure I expected to truly like it. I'd take a picture but it wouldn't capture the mood.

The sautéed garlic smells so good. Did I say I was sitting on a rooftop in Mumbai? It turns out that our hotel has a rooftop cafe/bar with a great Zomato rating. Fish Kalimiri (black pepper) that's what I had. OMG. Who knew from our weird inclusive breakfast?!


1 January 2015

Today's agenda: a little shopping for wedding jewelry and clothes, then this afternoon the mendi ceremony for Nital. It's considered to be one of the smaller parties and s'more casual event (a dress instead of a sari).

Yesterday we checked out of the Mumbai hotel about 8 am and our wonderful driver (Mr. Singh) took us to see the Dhobi-ghat -- Mumbai's oldest and biggest human powered clothes washing facility. The picture doesn't begin to do it justice. After that, National Hwy 8 to the very north end of Mumbai to be picked up by Nital's family for the 4 hr. Drive to Navsari.

We arrived in Navsari to an enthusiastic welcome and many hugs. After chai and snacks, it was decided that we were to join the women getting their henna (mendi) done ahead of time in order to make it easier on us the next afternoon at the formal mendi ceremony for the bride. Lovely experience in a bedroom full of chattering lovely women and girls. Hands and arms full of henna made for some delicate moments at dinner.

We are staying in a place that is a combination dorm/guest house/assisted living. It hard to describe but there are 3 home-cooked (and delicious) meals a day and the rooms are kind of like firm suites. 2 other families associated with the wedding are staying here - 7 of us altogether. We have made friends and are enjoying each other.

 

 

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.