Existing Member?

Travels with Janice

Welcome to Mumbai

INDIA | Monday, 29 December 2014 | Views [367] | Comments [2]

Welcome to Mumbai!  (At 3 am...)

Welcome to Mumbai! (At 3 am...)

Monday, 29 December, 2014


On today's agenda: sleep this morning, then shopping in Mumbai.

 

I think I'm awake because the sun is shining. Or maybe because it just feels different here. And there is definitely a bird of some sort dwelling on the air conditioner.

Yesterday's flight was uneventful and certainly more comfortable than many other airlines. We flew Emirates from LAX to Dubai on that gi-normous plane (E380?), and then on to Mumbai on another gi-normous plane. Bang on inflight entertainment system (I watched 3 movies I have been wanting to see) plus power and USB outlets for charging all those pesky personal devices. Decent food. Free drinks. Everything except SLEEP. I am my mother's daughter in that I find it almost impossible to sleep when I am not lying down.

16 hours on the first flight, then another 3 for the second, plus the airport time (and passport control/customs on the arrival) made for a rather long day. Night. Trip.

All is well though. We arrived safely in the (very) wee hours of this morning at the Sea Palace Hotel. Don't let the name entice you - but it is just down the street from the very famous Taj Mahal Hotel (look that one up) and our room is on the front facing the water. It's perfectly adequate - if you have traveled outside the USA you now have a picture in your head of 2 single beds, a hot pot, and a teensy bathroom. We both think it looks sort of like an older college dorm room. We'll try out their little restaurant and let you know how that went. We are here for 2 (more) nights then off to Navsari for wedding festivities.

Oh- the movies I saw were:
Boyhood
The Hundred-Foot Journey
The Giver

 

Tags: mumbai

Comments

1

Oooh! Oooh! Thanks for this travelogue! Please keep it up daily. Glad you're there safe and sound.

  Marilyn Dec 30, 2014 3:28 AM

2

Glad the hotel is adequate. Hope the shopping was interesting.

  Bob Timm Dec 30, 2014 6:36 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.