Existing Member?

Travels with Janice

Wedding Day and After

INDIA | Sunday, 4 January 2015 | Views [262]

Jan 4-- on the Gujarat Express train which goes from Mumbai to Ahmedabad. We boarded in Navsari.

Said our farewells this morning to Patel family and friends. We both feel like we have made wonderful connections with many people -- the majority of whom are actually in California!

The big day of the wedding was yesterday. If you want a step-by-step description of what happened over all three days you can Google that. Even then, every wedding is slightly different because certain family rituals will be different from village to village and caste to caste.

It was:
Colorful
Sparkly (especially the clothing,jewelry, and decoration)
Yummy (wonderful food - Gujariti thali style)
Filled with many contrasts

I took as many photos as I could- even a couple of video clips- but the extreme lighting from the videographer and photographer made it a bit tricky to getting little camera or my phone to get good shots. Instead of bride-zilla, it was really photographer-zilla as each side had their own crew and tried to outdo each other. It really made the ceremony full of long delays last night. Even so, it was an auspicious event and we were so honored to be treated like family.

Anna spent the afternoon between events with the bridesmaids and families, getting ready and taking part in the mischievous shenanigans that are part of their tradition. You can ask her about some of that because I was spending that same afternoon wondering how in the world to get everything into my suitcase. We are now already contemplating "parceling" a box home of wedding clothes and gifts. Since we have 2 days in Ahmedabad it might be possible. It would certainly lighten the load!

Later... 7:30ish pm
It feels like we have the whole hotel to ourselves. We are certainly the only ones in the restaurant. Is it too early? Everyone else is having room service? But the hotel is VERY NICE. Very modern. See the pictures :)

5 hour train ride was uneventful. Not too uncomfortable just a lot of sitting. And it was only 15 minutes later than scheduled so was "on time". We were met immediately by our guide (very knowledgeable and personable) and our driver who will be with us for the next several days. Visited the Hathee Singh Jain temple (you can look that up on Wikipedia) and the Sabarmarti Ashram. (http://gandhiashramsabarmati.org/en/).

On tomorrow's agenda among other things: a walk around the old walled city and a visit to the Calico Museum. And maybe the night market.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.