Existing Member?

It is time...

The insanely long Hong Kong transit

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 19 May 2009 | Views [296]

Concrete jungle floating amongst mountains in the sea.

Concrete jungle floating amongst mountains in the sea.

I had to transit in Hong Kong for 20 hours on my way to Toronto. Very long, very tedious, especially since the transit was just a few hours shy of being an overnight transit. I spent the first half of the day wandering the streets of HK. Aside from the incredible amount of overhanging signage, the little I saw of HK city streets didn't seem very different from Singapore's chinatown.

I also went up to The Peak. The tram ride was great, like going up a roller coaster, it was that steep! At one point the tram stopped mid climb and it felt like we were going to be dropped backwards. (In actual fact I think the driver paused to let a couple of tourists waiting at the stop ahead take photos.) The view, unfortunately, wasn't as exhilirating as the journey up. The sky was overcast and the sun barely made an appearance. But you could clearly see the numerous buildings nestled among lush mountains that seemed to float on the sea.

About mlisaho


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.