Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Dead Marrakesh

MOROCCO | Tuesday, 28 January 2020 | Views [222]

We got up a bit late this morning. Both jet leg and staying up late had us in bed until almost 10 AM. It was nice just to relax!

We set out for the Jewish Quarter, just south of our apartment. The alleyways were tight within the walled old Medina. It was very difficult to navigate to our list of places we planned to visit. 

 

We stumbled upon a culinary arts museum and decided to check it out. It was not cheap at 120 dirhams each (about $18) but included food samples; more like mini meals. 

 

The building was incredible; a restored large Riad, the new wood work was very detailed.

 

We sampled a variety of salads, breads and tajines.

 



Teas and pastries.

 

We were stuffed!

We resumed our trek to the Jewish quarter and were offered a variety of good and bad advice. We heard things were closed, we were going the wrong way, etcetera. We persevered and arrived to the old Jewish cemetery.

We learned that around the Spanish Inquisition, many Jews fled Europe and sought refuge in Marrakesh. They were not permitted the protection of the walled city of the Medina and they build a community just outside.

Although there isn’t much of a Jewish community remaining, the area has a charm that is different from the other parts for Marrakesh we visited. The children were on their lunch break and were grouped around sweet snacks. 

The cemetery was like nothing we have ever seen. The graves were raised and appeared random. Signage exclaimed there was reason in the randomness. 

 

Most amazing garden of rosemary!

 

Again another mix of good and bad advice, we found the last synagogue; the area once had 40. Even this last remnant of what once was, was half converted into a police station. It was interesting...

We wandered around shopping and admiring the process for drying dyed dry roses; used in a variety of vanity products.

 

We couldn’t resist the fresh squeezed orange juice!

 


We visited Saadien Tombs and although it was marginally interesting, it was 70 dirhams ($10) and we saw everything in less than 15 minutes (including using the washroom).


We grabbed a couple beers and enjoyed a cold one in our apartment. May have taken a short nap after the hours of walking.

 

Neither of us could decide on dinner, so we just shopped around the night market. 

We are reserving the rest of our purchases for markets outside the tourist hell they call Jama El f’na. Yesterday, Ann wanted a Henna tattoo so she asked the price. Before she could even blink someone else was already starting on her hand, “you pay what you want”. (Warning to travellers these women are aggressive and actually want 350 dirhams) The work is beautiful but not worth what they are asking. When she was done I gave the lady 50 dirhams told her to take that or nothing and we left. The experience was a little nerve racking for us both and we decided the market buskers are quite a scam.

 

Pretty though! 

After walking for a couple more hours we called it a night, enjoyed a beverage and wrote the blog.

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.