Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

The Glory of Downtown Naples

ITALY | Saturday, 10 February 2018 | Views [394]

We agree to get on the road by 0800 this morning and after the boys sorted their issues we were in pretty good shape. Although we had taken the train downtown and Tim thought it would be fine, Al thought it would be better to drive to the airport, secure his vehicle at the United States base, and take a bus. Although it was a bit faster, taking the bus from the airport was a bit more expensive (5 euro versus 2.20). At least we didn't have to walk up the hill at the end of the day!

We took the Alibus from the airport with the original plan to start at the main rail station. Tim downloaded a walking tour that took us from shopping to tourist sites. Al's plan was a bit different; we got off at the Ferry station. After walking around for about 20 minutes to find our way, we found a very interesting square.

 

We eventually got back to the 'main areas' of Tim's map; stopped for a beer at Burger King. Although it was an unlikely place to find good, cheap, beer; we enjoyed the stop.

 

We enjoyed ducking into cafes, had a beer on another patio. We enjoyed simply getting lost in the crowded streets.

 

The downtown is so vibrant, full of personality; very cute! We enjoyed a drink of lemon cello and grappa.

 

We stopped for a pizza and cold beer at 22 Pizza; 8 euros! Not only was the pizza better than Amalfi, it was half the price.

 

Al was on a mission to find a specific coffee bean; LavAzza. We stopped at a couple places along the route to see what they had; sampling the local varieties as we went along. Unfortunately, we couldn't find it, but we enjoyed all the paid 'samples'.

 

We stopped at a famous pizza place but the line was insane. Not sure much better a pizza can get, but it wasn't worth the wait.

 

Tim ate a deep fried risotto ball; was tasty but not amazing.

 

It was getting later in the day so we decided to 'pull pin' and head towards Al's house. We stopped at a grocery store by his house, bought the coffee he was looking for (same brand, different bean).

 

I had a beer and snack while they shopped.

 

Tim cooked an amazing ravioli dinner; pumpkin and mushroom. His red 'gravy' was simple, but the Italian tomatoes and spices were very good.

 

We enjoyed a relaxing evening; our last in Italy. I would say this is a beautiful country; especially loved Naples. This city has far less tourists than most cities we have visited. The people are proud, but humble all the same. The city is very welcoming, people really try to help you, and are accommodating. We really enjoyed our time! Thanks for having us Al!

 

 

 

 

 

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.