Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Mexican Body Slam

MEXICO | Sunday, 1 January 2017 | Views [406]

Feeling slightly tired this morning we are a bit slow moving.  That was fine as we had zero plan for the day.  After lazing around the hotel until almost noon, we went for a walk on Paseo de la Reforma.  It was surprising how much work they had completed overnight with there being little evidence of a party.



After walking around for a couple hours we headed back to the hotel and Tim had a nap.  Our plan was to go to the Mexico Arena and take in a professional wrestling show.

We left the hotel a couple hours prior to the show.  We had tried to buy tickets from Ticketmaster but our credit card would not allow it.  We would wing it, as usual.  After a couple metro stops we were there, in line muddling our way through the purchasing experience.  Thankfully a young Mexican girl helped us translate our desire for the best seats available; tickets ranged from 580 to as low as 50 pesos.  $1160 ($70) pesos later and we were in possession of two 2nd row tickets.  

We had a bit of time to kill and we had not eaten yet.  After checking out the neighbourhood and the 10 varieties of taco offering, we decided to just play it safe at Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Although this was a very odd choice for Tim and I, it was a safe move that turned out to be pretty good.  Tim still is sick and the thought of a taco is still unfortunately out of the question.  The dirty bird was quite good.



We made our way back to the Arena, went through security (had to check our camera) and found our amazing seats.  After ordering a huge beer from one of the multitude of seat service vendors we were set for the show.


We had low expectations; wrestling is a recommended Mexico City activity, but how entertaining could it be?  Wow, very!



First, there were the dancing girls.  Not only were they beautiful, they were talented dancers and; ummm, did I mention they were beautiful?



Then the show started.  Some general remarks: all the 'acts' were three person 'tag teams', 3 rounds and a short dancing girl intermission between acts.  Generally you can tell the show was a performance but there is no denying that these guys are not only professionals, but very talented!  Finally, the show was being filmed for television and being so close and on the 'action side' of the ring, we found ourselves on camera quite a few times.



The first group appeared to be a curious group of short dudes.  That being said, they were amazing acrobats; swinging around each other, legs wrapped around each others necks, flying off the ropes, over the ropes, etcetera.  These guys, at times, looked weightless.



Each group seemed to be the classic good versus evil.  The second group of guys on the one hand were the heroes, hero masks, caps and adorned with wings of angels.



The other group was composed of thugs and bandits; awesome.



From props to midgets, every group had some sort of gimmick.



They put on an equally dazzling performance with some up and personal activity right at our feet.



The third act was similar, good versus evil, but the 'actors' are apparently more popular.  



They put on an equally entertaining performance; their talent and fanfare quite apparent. They even had midget sidekicks!

There was one last "Vegas" style intermission with the dancing girls before the final act....beautiful.



The final act reminded us of New Years Eve at the Angel; Mexicans seem to like the boring stuff for the end.  Apparently these guys were the older, perhaps most known, wrestlers; but it was a competition between a fat dude and a senior citizen.  It went on and on and was not very entertaining; ending with the fat dude's signature kiss.  To add insult to injury, the old dude had his head shaved in a bizarre end of events.  Well, the rest of the night was good...




 

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.