Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Massive Market Overload

MEXICO | Thursday, 29 December 2016 | Views [270]

We had a relaxing morning around the hotel enjoying coffee and Bailey's; very nice to have a coffee maker in the hotel. Even if you get sick of drip coffee, there is a Starbucks on the ground floor of the hotel.

We decided to do less tourist stuff today and simply head back to the Market de la Merced; one of the largest bustling street markets in central Mexico city. We had gone to it on our last visit here, but it was later in the day and we were both tired; thus didn't give it a fair chance.

 

We made the short walk to the metro and were happy to see it was not as busy as some lines. It was only 5 stops on the same route; simple.

Exiting directly into the market was a sensations overload. The smells of food, incenses, perfumes were intoxicating. If that wasn't enough the noise and contact overload is overwhelming. A special note about the noise; its loud here! I can not emphasize how much noise there is and it seems to be a competition. The street stall vendors are constantly yelling price and goods information (this is all over Mexico, even in the metro). They are either competing or being competed with the loud speakers overhead in the market also drowning you in information. If these and the noise of honking cars weren't enough, there are people selling movies or music with huge speakers playing there products as loud as the speaker can handle.

 

This market sells everything from fresh eggs to a goat, to party favours to prostitutes; from underwear to full dress suits.

 

We stumbled into one of the nicest fresh vegetable markets we had ever seen. Not only was the produce larger than normal the vendors took the finest care only displaying the best and most beautify.

 

After wandering the market for about 2 hours, we started making out way to the Historic Centre. Along the way we passed through endless market streets. We stopped at a vendor selling fresh ice cream and were treated to some of the very best vanilla cheese cake and maple walnut; yum!

 

When we arrived in the central square it was packed. The last couple times we were here it was certainly busy, but this time its was insane. We sat for a bit watching people, but the noise was really getting to Tim. He also seemed to be dehydrated and was getting cranky. We decided to get out of the downtown, caught the metro back to our hotel area.

Tim took a nap but had a hard time shaking the headache. We walked to the grocery store and bought some simple pasta fixing. We relaxed in the hotel and Tim made a very nice, simple, pasta dinner. We enjoyed some wine and relaxed the rest of the night.

 

 

 

 

 

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.