Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Mexican Emersion

MEXICO | Friday, 16 December 2016 | Views [223]

Note: we had some technical issues today with our camera, so some pictures will follow later.

 

First impressions of our room was alright, but it actually is turning out to be quite comfortable and a very good location. We slept very well and surprisingly the cacophony of vehicle horns did not disturb our sleep. The pillows were also very good and the bed was probably the best of all the hotels we have every had; no me being in Africa for the past 6 months had no influence on my judgement. At least there is a fridge ;)

 

We got up around 7am, enjoyed some coffee and prepared our bag for the day. Our expectations are usually pretty low on the first full day as we usually have to contend with jet leg. Today would be a simple day of exploration.

After Tim devoured our leftover burritos we set out for Surperama, the Mexican Walmart. Tim forgot a couple of things and I know he frankly loves looking around a grocery store.

It wasn't far, we passed through a nondescript neighbourhood and there it was. There isn't much to say about it, except that the prices were about the same. They had some very good looking bakery items which we selected a few for a snack in a park.

The moment we left the store I was captivated by a local stand selling woman’s ware. They had some very nice ponchos which I was quick to hone in on a “winter variety”. Although this was the first stand I found, I hate missing something I love in hopes to seeing it again. Tim insisted I just get it.

 

We wandered our way toward the Historic area of town and browsed an assortment of local stalls and markets. The delicious smells of cooking pork, tamales and other things we couldn't identify. We bought a couple of tacos from a hawker for 7 pesos each and enjoyed the local burn.

 

The city is quite pretty with architecture very reminiscent of Europe. The Spanish conquest is much more apparent than other colonial places we have visited. Everything appears to have a Mexican flare, especially the nineteenth century missions, status and various monuments dedicated to revolution and independence.

 

After sitting, people watching and enjoying our park snacks; we stumbled onto the Independence Square where there was a festival of winter. This may sound a bit ode at first, but I assure you it was equipped with a toboggan hill, a skating rink and other assorted child's winter activity. Clearly at plus 23C there was no snow or ice, but that didn’t stop them from improvising with tire tubs for the 'hill' and roller blades for the 'ice' track. It was an electrifying festival filled with delicious nachos and beverages.

 

We wandered back toward our hotel passing through what was supposed to be Chinatown; which was really just speciality shops selling various parts for kitchen blenders, vacuums, washing machines, and assorted lighting. Along the way we enjoyed a beverage in the park and shopped at a couple markets.

 

After a well deserved nap we set out for a Friday night adventure. The city is beautiful at night with most restaurants playing Caribbean music and, because it is almost Christmas, there are lights everywhere. We made the short walk to the Angel of Independence, making the daring dash across the traffic circle. The Angel looks like a popular place for local younger couples to go to and cuddle.

 

The long, straight street (Paseo de la Reforma) is lined with paths, lights and trees. It is an incredible sight especially considering it is in the centre of a huge metropolis. Many people were going about their lives, walking dogs, jogging or just sitting in the beautify 'park' like space. We walked for a while and found a mall that Tim had seen on a YouTube video (Reforma 222).

 

After walking around the typical mall, we decided to have dinner at a very popular Italian restaurant (Italianni's Reforma 222). The prices were very good so we decided on a nice bottle of red wine, Valpolicella. For dinner we selected a chicken Caesar salad and a pizza Dell'orto, topped with olives mushrooms and artichokes. The wine was amazing and the atmosphere was very romantic. We enjoyed the food, which would have served 4, and paid the bill (900 pesos or around $60 including a solid tip). Excellent way to end the first full day in Mexico city.

 

 

 

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.