Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

Soup Soup; Bowls of Soup

POLAND | Sunday, 28 August 2016 | Views [419]

We didn't plan a lot for the day; walking 15 – 20 Km a day is very draining.  So we got up and explored the local market where I bought a new shirt.  Tim and Dad were on the hunt for antiques; maybe something from the war.  

The problem we found in a Jewish tourist district is there is a lot of really cool Nazi memorabilia; but it's mostly, if not all, fake.


We stopped at a bar that had sewing machines for tables.  Beer was cold and sun was warm; perfect.



After a walk around the block, we stopped at a milk bar. These are simple, cafeteria style, eateries that serve cheap food to mostly locals.  In fact, there was zero English and 1 picture.  Tim pointed and nodded for a bit and came back with soup and a meal for us all.



The food was okay, not great, but definitely edible. This type of polish food is meant to fill you up and sustain the day.  Heavy gravy and mashed potatoes, meats and sauce and fried pork schnitzel.  Couple sides of assorted cabbage dishes to mix it up.  The type of meal your polish grandmother would feed you at a huge family dinner.  All for about $10 for 4 people.



Stuffed, we waddled back to the apartment and had a full afternoon nap.  The rest was needed not only to digest the lunch, but our tired legs.

The evening we just played cards, watched a couple movies and made soup and perogies for dinner.  Excellent day of rest.



 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Poland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.