Existing Member?

Same Same, but... a little bit different!

High Seas are Not for Me.

THAILAND | Thursday, 19 December 2013 | Views [359]

We were able to sleep in this morning, a sign that our bodies either needed the rest or we are adjusted to the time difference. Seven days isn't so bad when you have nothing important to accomplish; I get shutters thinking about our first week back at work.

 

We ventured out this morning only to get some breakfast and some provisions for the trip to Krabi. Tim ate some sort of curry pocket the reminded me of a pizza pocket but was filled the same as a samosa. It was actually pretty good, but I wasn't going to risk it with my stomach still being temperamental. He also bought a bag of sticky rice and sweet sauce to eat while we packed.

Tim's Rice 

I opted for a muffin top, procured at the trusty 7-11 for 13 baht. They are good and probably the best choice for my condition.

 Muffin

Our ferry with Lomprayah was at noon, so we packed out bags, including a couple drinks in our make-shift cooler (a ranger blanket and a couple bags of ice inside Tim messenger style carry-on bag). The prices on the boat were pretty high so Tim also bought us some lunch and a couple beer. It was a heavy bag that we would work on getting lighter before we he had to carry it any real distance. Fortunately, the pier was only about a 5 minute walk from our guesthouse.

 

We arrived early and checked into the ferry. We originally decided noon was a good time to leave because we had expected to be up late at the Full Moon Party. Many other people in line had the same plan. We were not surprised to see many people plastered in florescent glow-in-the-dark paints, staggering and/or moping around either still high or half drunk. Mark, an Insurance sales man from New York city was no exception. He had planned on taking it easy, but had over indulged in a cocktail of drugs and alcohol and was now setting out on a torturous 30 hour journey back the US. We were happy to poke fun at him for the time we waited in line and wished him the best as he stubble into the ferry trying to find a place to rest his frayed mind.

Me waiting for the boat 

The ferry ride was not as much fun as the journey onto the island. At first, it just seamed the strong wind kick up the occasional splash of sea water and jostling the boat; however, after about 15 minutes out we could tell the boat was zig-zagging in an apparent attempt to avoid the 3-6 foot swells. After about half and hour, the ride was quite bad and we were happy that were not hung over. Less than an hour in, there were many people wishing they had not drank so much; at least one guy was hanging over the edge loosing his guts. His friends were so sympathetic offering him beer to settle his stomach; not exactly what he wanted.

 Zig Zag

Squals

After a couple punishing hours on the boat ride from hell, we boarded our bus to Krabi. Tim made himself a stiff drink in his make-shift glass to calm his nerves. The bus was quite old, but more comfortable than the boat. We secured the front seats of the top of the bus and were lucky enough to be sitting next to a couple of French girls that were loud and obnoxious. Fortunately, they fell asleep about 30 minutes into the 2 hour drive.

Tim's well deserved beverage 

When we arrived to Krabi we were not impressed to be sequestered to the bus until the attendant had the opportunity to forcefully sell transfers to everyone's hotel. We declined suggesting we would walk. After speaking to another couple, we determined that it was about a 20 minute walk, which turned out to be less.

 

Happy to be in our little room, we ventured out, got some dinner, which seamed overpriced, and called it a night...

 Part of the room

Tim's Calamari

 

 

 

 

Tags: krabi town

 

About mitann


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.