Existing Member?

Jo's Korean and Other Crazy Adventures Jo is coming back to teach in China for a second year that is sure to be filled with new crazy adventures!

"The Universe and I" party at Oi bar

SOUTH KOREA | Saturday, 9 June 2007 | Views [2425]

I'm still recovering from the all night party me and a friend attended last night. It's not everyday or even every month, that I go to a party like I went to last night. The theme was "Universe and I" and it was based on this thought. This was on the website of one of the dj's from last night.

Through various cultural codes like music, audio vision, fashion, we want to share with you our human energy. For this purpose, we organize a couple of parties every month: "The Universe and I" and "Janus".

"The Universe and I" is a story about "my energy in the Universe" and "Janus" "my other self".

Born were you with your own unique energy in the Universe, you're fading away in the routine city life. Your existence in the Universe is fading away, too.


"The Universe and I" is organized to pull round your existence in the universe by means of observing and experiencing your energy.
Oi prepare thirty-minute observation time (12:00-12:30). For thirty minutes would all be untouched, but the light in which you and others recognize the Universe will disappear.
To the music in the no lightened space, concentrate on yourself. A unique experience will remain on your existence in the Universe."

They had four dj's mixing trance, acid jazz, and electronica music. It was the first time we had been to this bar in Hongdae, and it was awesome. It was like walking into a white cave, where they had candles on the tables, and a swinging angel near the dance floor. The dj booth looked like a 'big flying saucer' or a 'gigantic squid', as my friend observed. It is hard to put in words what it looked like. So I took a few pictures, and I downloaded some pictures from one of the DJ's websites.

On our way in, we bumped into a Korean girl, who started talking to us. She was on of the dj's that would be performing at 1am. She gave us free tickets to get in. Her set was really excellent. I never danced so much in my life. We danced almost all night, from midnight-four am. Almost straight through - and boy are my feet ever sore today. What a freeing experience though.

The cool thing about the place was the atmosphere and ambience,which was really laid back. There were four guys who had bongo drums, who were playing along with the music. Late in the early hours, I went over to meet the drummers who let me play the bongos with them. I learned how to play in Thailand, and had a blast playing with them. 

The DJ girl who we met upon arriving to the bar, sat and talked with us for awhile after her set. I bought her a beer, and then she came over with a 'Singha' for us. I said, "where did you get that from?" I had no idea they sold 'Singha' in the place. It really did feel like Thailand. She dj's alot in the area. She is going to hook us up with other parties and venues in the future. I arrived home around 4:30am, and haven't stayed out that late since I was in my twenties.

Here is the website of one of the DJ's. He is the one who got us interested in the party. He is a western guy who mixes in Seoul.

http://blog.myspace.com/superacidjaxmusic 

Today will be a restful day, to recuperate from a long night of dancing, and drinking. 

Tags: Party time

About miss_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.