Existing Member?

Jo's Korean and Other Crazy Adventures Jo is coming back to teach in China for a second year that is sure to be filled with new crazy adventures!

Lotus Lantern Festival

SOUTH KOREA | Tuesday, 22 May 2007 | Views [4481] | Comments [6]

On Sunday, I went to downtown Seoul to see the annual lotus lantern parade, and to enjoy Buddhas birthday festivities. Me and a friend visited Jogyeso temple in Jongno area. Wow!! Lanterns hung in row upon row on the ceiling. Every imaginable colour made it hard to see the blue sky. What a sight!

Jogyesa temple is home to 8000 monks, and 5000 nuns. It follows Zen (Japanese name)and Gyo Buddhism, which focuses on scriptural study.

Here is more information on Buddhism in Korea, and the lantern festival.

http://www.koreanbuddhism.net/jokb/content_view.asp?cat_seq=73&content_seq=207&page=1

 

During the day, they had a street festival with tables of every imaginable thing related to Buddhism. We made lotus flowers, and put our handprints onto clay. We also saw Indian yoga, and met Buddhists and monks from around Asia, including Thailand, Nepal, and India.

The parade started at 7pm, and they weren't kidding when I read that the parade is 2 hours long. The parade was unlike anything I've ever seen, and I've seen lots of parades. They had many Buddhists from all over Asia, walking in groups holding different syles of lanterns all lit up. I saw different floats and groups from Myanamar, Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, and Korea. I'm sure there were others as well.

Some of the floats were really extravagant. There were dragons, elephants, and buddhas to name just a few. I took many photos, and videos of the whole affair. I'll post some pictures and videos very soon.

Website about the lotus lantern festival:

http://www.llf.or.kr/eng/main.asp

I found this interesting tidbit of information about the lotus flower and what it represents from this website:

http://english.tour2korea.com/03Sightseeing/TravelSpot/travelspot_read.asp?oid=2926&kosm=m3_8.

"The Lotus Flower is a well known symbol of Buddhism. This flower has two meanings. First, the lotus flower blossoms in mud ponds, but it is not tainted and keeps its purity always. It is like Buddha and Bodhisattvas, who lived in the world but remained pure. Second, it bears a flower and fruit at the same time. It reflects the law of cause and effect. Therefore, when Buddhists act in everyday life, they keep in mind that their actions are followed by results."

 

 

Tags: culture

Comments

1

the pics are beautiful what a parade unbeivable we sure dont get parades like that here in canada
makes ours really bad

  ecairns May 23, 2007 12:47 AM

2

Dear Dharma Brothers,

We introduce ourselves as one of the pioneering Buddhist organization namely Buddhist Brotherhood Assembly which is non-profit, non-sectarian, socio-economic, cultural, religious and peace propagation center designed to serve the cause of our sacred religion and to uphold the sanctity of suffering humanity. Since inception in the year 1998 we have been conducting Inter-religious teachings, arranging seminar, conference, meeting, workshop time to time for the propagation of the peace elsewhere in the world. We exhorts let one cultivate boundless compassion, wisdom and loving kindness towards all sentient beings.

Today as the world struggle with war and terrorism, it is wise renunciation of spritiually great saint to practise non-violence in every walk of life which can help attain of all civilization to transfer problematic areas of the globe back all religions to live in peace and harmony with each other from families towards all human beings. We take initiative and endeavor to establish relationships with the people of diverse cultural and religious background for the promotion of International brotherhood to contribute to peace elsewhere in the world.

Kindly note our Organization is a member of World Fellowship of Buddhist, Buddhist Brotherhood Mission, World Peace Prayer Society, etc. Our representatives very often participated in the International peace and religious conference both at home and abroad. Last year two delegates from our Organization attended 5th Annual World Peace Prayer Society peace congregation held in Allanton Sanctuary in 2003. Also 2(two) of our representatives visited U.S.A in late July and attended World Peace Flag Hoisting Ceremony organized by World Peace Prayer Society in 2003. In February 2 (two) member delegation from our organization attended conference in Seoul , South Korea alongwith our President in 2005. Four of our representatives attended 6th Annual World Peace Flage Hoisting Ceremony in Allanton Sanctuary , Scotland U.K held on 17th June 2004. One of our delegate attended International Conference on Restorative Practices & Family Empowerment held in Penrith , Australia from 3-5th March 2005. Two of our delegates attended Nostra Aete Interreligious Conference held in Italy September 2006. One of our delegates attended LIPS Conference held in viena, Switzerland September 2006. One of our delegate attended Kalachakra initiation & Interreligious meeting for world Peace held at Florence from 28-30th June 2007. Two of our delegates attended 9th Annual Gathering for World Peace held at Allanton Sanctuary, Scotland on 30th June 2007. Since inception delegates of our organization attended conferences, seminar, workshop organized by different organization both at Home and Abroad.

Having gone through your web-site we have come to know that every year you celebrate with religious fervour historic Buddhist Lotus Lantern Festival in May. We are desirous to take part in 2008 Lotus Lantern Festival and want to depute 4 (four) Sangha member delegation to attend the festival to get ourselves acquainted with you and to establish Dharma relationship for serving greater interest of our sacred religion globally.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

With metta,

Tapan Barua
General Secretary
Buddhist Brotherhood Assembly
Hannan Building, 5th Floor, 5E,
1 No. Nandan Kanan, Kotwali,
Chittagong-4000,

  Tapan Barua Oct 12, 2007 2:57 PM

3


Dear,Dhamma brother .I am student still studies university in sri lanka.I would like to participate buddhist conference in your country.for develop my future studies.may the triple gem bless you. thank you.ven,dharmalok bhikkhu.

  dharmalok sraman May 7, 2008 2:02 PM

4

Dear,
Sir, I am a Buddhist monk from Bangladesh. I came to Sri Lanka elevan years ago to study on Buddhism and now i am searching on various Buddhism around the world. So would like to know about your Buddhism and other Buddhist festivals. If you be kind sir please let me know how shall i get informations.

Waiting for your mail.

With Metta
Ripon

  Ripon May 17, 2008 10:05 PM

5

dear sir,
I would like to be in contact with you because i wish to know more about Buddhism. I am from Bamyan state of Afghanistan where the one of the biggist Buddha temple is. I wish to develope understanding about Buddhism. Our ancestors were also Buddhist. I wish to turn to my history and belief of my ancestors.
Please write me to my email: fahimpatrick@yahoo.com
Best wishes,
Zahir

  Zahir Jul 10, 2008 2:59 PM

6

Dear sir,
At first,I will say,everyone has three types of nature.These are:Animal,Human and Divine natures.We adopt this nature to satisfy our mind.When our mind are not guided by religious discipline,animal natures also dominate us.Buddhism is one of the best Buddha teaching.Anyway,I am a novice in Bangladesh but i stay in Thailand and i study in MCU on buddhism.I want to know about more buddism of your country.
Wish you the best of luck.
Rani Barua Nov 19,2008

  Rani Barua Nov 20, 2008 2:50 AM

About miss_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.