Existing Member?

Jo's Korean and Other Crazy Adventures Jo is coming back to teach in China for a second year that is sure to be filled with new crazy adventures!

Hwaseong Fortress in Suwon, South Korea is Awesome!

SOUTH KOREA | Sunday, 15 April 2007 | Views [3794] | Comments [1]

This past weekend I went to Suwon to visit a friend of mine from Teacher's college. She is teaching at an International School in that area. Her school is brand new, and it is huge. The school really is state of the art and also has a pool. I told her I would try and get into an International school next year because I was so envious.

On Friday night, we went to see the show, Quidam, performed by Cirque De Soleil. It took place under a big top, and was really amazing. They performed many acrobatic tricks high in the air using ropes and rings.

Late Friday night after the performance, I went to Suwon, South Korea, which is about an hour south west of Seoul. The population is 1.2 million people. I went to Suwon last year, to visit Hwaseong Fortress, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. But, this year was even more spectacular, because of the Cherry Blossom trees in bloom. Here is some information about the fortress from, http://english.tour2korea.com/03Sightseeing/TravelSpot/travelspot_read.asp?oid=447

 

1. Hwaseong Fortress Introduction

History
Built by King Jeongjo of the Joseon Era, Hwaseong Fortress is designated Historical Site No.3 by the Korean government. Construction began in January of 1794 and was completed in September of 1796. There were two key underlying reasons for the construction of Suwon City. First, it was to move the tomb of King Jeongjo's father, Sado Seja, a tragic casualty of a political strife. Second, it was to suppress old influences by using the new ones in his favor to construct the new city; thus, strengthening his position as king.

Size and Structure
The circumference of Hwaseong Fortress's wall is an impressive 5.7km long (including the areas that have not been repaired- the repaired walls measure 5.4km) and its height ranges from 4.9m to 6.2m. The rest of the facility contains a little over 50 other structures. Paldalmun Gate, Janganmun Gate, Changryongmun Gate, and Hwaseomun Gate are its 4 main gates, and other structures worth noting are the Ammun Gate, Sumun Gate, Jangdae, Gakru, Gongsimdon, Poru, and Bongdon. In the center of Hwaseong Fortress is the Hwaseong Temporary Palace, where the king sought refuge during times of war and enjoyed restful repose in times of peace.

Characteristics
An interesting point to note about the fortress is that it was planned and built using the ideas of practical science. Hwaseong Fortress was built using the fortress plans of Yakyong Jeong, (1762 ~ 1836), the Joseon era's most eminent scientist. Both stone and brick were used, heavy materials were lifted using a system of pulleys to reduce building time, and the logically distributed defensive structures made effective attacks and defenses possible. It was a pioneering achievement for that era. The use of the pulley system is especially fantastic, because it cut down the estimated building time of 10 years to an impressive 33 months.

Restoration
The structure was completed in 1796 after 33 months of toil. After its completion, King Jeongjo ordered a publication of a report- 5 years later, the 'Hwaseong Yeokuigwe' was published. This book included drawings of Hwaseong Fortress, its building plans, and names of the carpenters and artists that worked on the structure. This book played a pivotal role in the repair of Hwaseong Fortress after the devastation of the Japanese Invasion and the Korean War. The current Hwaseong Fortress is the result of 4 years of repairs starting in 1975- with the help of the information in the 'Hwaseong Yeokuigwe.'

 

So we walked around the fortress and really took in the sights. It was so great to see all the Cherry Blossom trees in bloom, and it was a beautiful day.

I was sad to head back to Seoul after such a well deserved trip yesterday. The air was so much cleaner in Suwon. Another eventful weekend has passed and back to work tomorrow.

Tags: sightseeing

Comments

1

Hi, earlier this year I worked for a month in Seoul at the Winter Global Leaders English Camp. It was a great experience and loads of fun. I went with about 18 other Australians including 4 friends and we all work at Callaghan College here in Newcastle NSW.
Today I received an email from the organizer of that Camp and he is looking for 5 teachers for another Winter Camp, beginning Jan 4 and concluding Jan 31. These camps aren't really 'camps' and the children go home at the end of each day while the teachers are accommodated close by. We stayed 2 subway stations away at The Co-Op apartments in Seoul - very comfortable.
His email was late because this particular location has only just been organised. It is in a college in SuWon so I found your info while 'Googling' SuWon. He didn't include the name of the particular college. We taught at the DukSung Women's University when we were in Seoul. When we were there we were taken on bus trips every Sunday and one of those included the Korean Folk Village and I'm wondering if that is in or near SuWon?
I enjoyed your video of SuWon with you and your friend walking up the Fortess.
Ciao, Lynn

  Lynn Marini Dec 4, 2007 7:34 PM

About miss_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.