Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

The start of unemployment OH RIGHT!!

CANADA | Saturday, 19 February 2011 | Views [554]

My fav part of Whitefish

My fav part of Whitefish

So the morning of the 4th we got up super early and headed to Canadian Tire to get the gear stick fixed and they did it within an hour which was so awesome! And it was only $100 so Blue was back in action and ready for the roady south.

Got through the USA border sweet, took about an hour and they asked us heaps of questions but got the 3 month green card and we were in. Headed to Whitefish which was only about an hour away. Just before arriving in Kalispell (where we were staying) the rain started to freeze and we couldn't see out of the windscreen. It got so bad after only a few minitues that we had to stop and scrap the ice off. If our heater inside was working it would have been sweet but it wasn't so we had this mini travel hair dryer trying to heat the windscreen. It did start to work and we drove into Kalispell seeing through a tiny hole about 15cm wide. Pulled into the first carpark we saw, had lunch and by the time we were finished the rain had stopped. Arrived at the hotel and just chilled out. Went to Walmart and got lots of dry foods to take back to Fernie and had dinner.

Got up the next morning ready for Whitefish Mountain. Had the best free breakfast. Ate so much, ws so tasty. Went riding all over the mountain and in the park too. The mountain was really intermediate so wasn't as good as Fernie but still fun cos it was free haha. Stayed in the park and did jumps for most of the arvo, was so fun to hit perfectly formed jumps (we aren't allowed them in Fernie).

That night walked into Kalispell and had Japanese for tea. Went riidng the next day again and had this awesome all-you-can eat Mongolian BBQ for dinner. It was only $12 and you picked you meats, veges and made your own sauce and then they cooked it for you there. Was so so tasty on the lips. Could only eat two plates but worth 12 bucks for sure.

Headed back to the border on Monday 7th through about 10-15cm of snow. Kinda gutted we weren't riding but oh well. Got the the borded and they didn't even look us up on the computer or stamp our passports. They pretty much asked us some questions about what we were doing and how long we were staying in Canada for and let us go. Was CRAZY, they didn't even ask about food or anything. Stoked cos we got to keep our fruit etc that we planned to give them haha, just forgot about it. So we were home safe!

Caro and Bex arrived the next day with a team of peeps from Revelstoked. We all went riding the next day, was super fun to ride with them! All went for 2 for 1 burritos in this place that's a snowboard store, restaurant and has a skateboard ramp, so fun. Went to for a mish round town but all the bars were pretty quiet cos it was Wed, so ended up at the Pub again.

Didn't do too much the next day cos we were hung over. Bex left for her party while me and Caro went out for lunch. Had such a wicked steak! Bex broke down on the way to the party only an hour away from here hahaha. They ended up hiring a car to get there.

Went riding on Friday with Caro and Marsh, super fun! Went out the a hockey game that night and there were so many fights. I was stoked cos i hadn't seen any yet. Kimberly ended up with only about 3 people left in their box, hahahaha. Went out the the Kodiak Lounge and then to Bulldogs for a dance.

Was too hung over for riding the mountain (which was shit cos we had 15cm overnight) the next day so chilled out at home. Me and Caro went ice skating which was neat. Was hard at the start but by the end we were cruising round real sweet. Watched a wee kids hockey game after. They were so cute, real good at skating.

Monday we did two awesome runs through the high Currie traverse and then there was such big lines cos half the mountain was closed, (cos of power trouble cos of real high winds the night before) so we went skiing instead. We hit the Might Moose for a bit then the Deer Chair. Caro had a stack and we couldn't get the ski back on for ages was so funny, i could hardly even help her cos i was laughing so much. Turns out the click in part was not in the right place and that's why it was so hard hahahaha. Me and Marsh graduated to the next learners chair the Elk, wicked fun.

Cruised round the mountain all day on Monday. Caro shouted us to pasta night at Mezzoluna and then we hit up Drum n Bass at the Central. Went back to Brodie's afterwards for dinrks and got home pretty late so we just stayed up til Caro left on her shuttle to Calgary. Such a fun night out! That day we did nothing, was good to just chill out cos we had been super busy. That day was also a powder day up the hill but we were not making it up there at all.

Next day we had another 16cm so we got up for first chair. Decided we would go the old side cos we always go new side. Was bout 8:45am when they came down and said all the lifts were closed except for the learner one, which would have been all groomed so we left and went new side again. The line was massive, so freakin annoying! Got up and Whitepass chair was closed too so got in the line to get freshies up there. Got some fresh in Whitepass and then cruised round the hill all day. RCR are so annoying with the closure, grrrrrrrrr!

Thursday morning they reported only 6cm overnight but it was pissing down when we woke up. Rocked up to the Timber line at 8:40am and got first chair, there was no one there (cos of the report). It was snowing 5cm an hour, amazing!! Currie was closed so we blasted round the Whitepass getting fresh tracks for over an hour. We did about 8 runs in an hour and a half, going as fast as you could, was so so much fun! We rode all day in powder all over the mountain. That was until they started closing everything cos there was just so much snow. Had a avalanche in the Lizzard bowl round midday. By 2:30pm all fun stuff was closed so we cruised home but was the best full day of the season for sheezy!

Got up on Friday 18th to try get fresh tracks in Currie but it was closed straight up so we hit Whitepass which was also closed for a bit so did a run to the bottm and by the time we got back up it was open (super annoying cos they said it would be closed for an hour, grrrrrr for the lies). There was sooooooooo many people just doing laps there waiting for Currie Bowl to open and that's just what we did. Got some nice runs in though and as we came up over the rise they were just dropping the rope into Currie so we strapped in as fast as we could a took off. Got a sweet fresh line down and it was tracked. We hit the groomers for the rest of the day. Was trying out switch 180s and got a few sweet ones. Might head out tonight to see a reggae band at the Central but Marsh is a wee bit sick so maybe not will see.

Tags: eat, no work muahahahaha, sleep, snowboard

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.