Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

All the time in the world

CANADA | Wednesday, 16 March 2011 | Views [588]

First  bonfire at Crystal and Murf's

First bonfire at Crystal and Murf's

Went out to this Ska Reggae band at the Central called the Idlers which was awesome! There was about 7 of them in the band and they played so so many different instrument, was sweet. We got their CD too, only $15 cheap cheap! Anyway that was the budget spent until Wednesday haha. It's funny being broke-ish, having to make the money last.

Sunday went to D'Arcy's for a park session in his back yeard. I'm scared to do the box etc so just watched and had some vinos while all the boys played. Met a chick, Crystal, from NZ which was neat. She had dreads. Made me miss mine lots more. The Idlers were playing a free acoustic set at the Central so we went to that for a bit. Haha Marsh and I didn't take any wallet or going out clothes so we wouldn't go out, but Crystal knew the only person working that night so we got in sweet without ID and took our own alcohol hahahha. Such a cheap night out! Was super fun, hardly anyone there. The band and everyone there was just chilling out on sofas, neat atmosphere!

The rest of the week it turned super super freezing, like -33 plus wind chill overnight! We had so many freakin layers on it was funny and we were still cold. You could only do 3 or so runs and you had to get back inside to warm the hands and feet. I was wearing my down puffer jacket under my snowboarding jacket, CRAZY cold! Friday was too much, we didn't even ride. At that point when it's -25ish it takes the fun out of it cos you just cannot keep warm.

BUT then......on Sunday it got a bit warmer and started snowing and snowing and snowing! WE woke up to 35cm of fresh! The lifts were closed, again, until 10am so massive lines up and tones of peeps everywhere. We got one good run in before it was super tracked but I couldn't even ride it, it was just so deep. On the side of the mountain we were on gets more snow than the other side and i just kept getting stuck haha, was fun still.

The next day, however we woke up to 28cm of fresh and everyone had their powder fix the day before so hardly anyone up and it was so much fun cranking around! Lovin riding the powder and jumping off anything you can!

Wednesday bought us another 18cms and I did my first cliff drop which was ok the first time, but the second time I went way too fast and bailed massively hahaha. Rolled and few times but its in powder so you just can't really hurt yourself at all.

Thurs we got 9cm which wasn't enough to cover the tracks from earlier in the week so just cruised around. Got another 13cm on Friday which was fun. Can't believe how may powder days in one week! Hardly anything was open though cos of too much snow so any way you went in the Whitepass you got stuck and had to skate this flat part, super annoying. I was second down so got stuck massively and wasted my leg on my back binding in my rush. Funny how you can have blood when you are wearing so many layers.

That night it was the first of the Griz days which is pretty much celebrating snow. They had a rail jam, fireworks, bands and a beer garden in town. Went to Bulldogs for a reggae band but they were pretty average so left pretty soon after we arrived.

Had another 5cm up the hill but nothing was open again. Sunday was the dummy down hill where we had to make a dummy that was on skis to push down the hill and hit a big jump. We used Marsh's Oscar costume from halloween for ours. He was the only one to land but then he face planted ha.

Tuesday was mine and Marsh's anniversary so we went out for tea and then to Crystal and Murf's for a bonfire, in the snow, by the river. They have the biggest backyard ever. Met some other kiwis. Was fun to listen to kiwi beats and chill out.

Decided to get the community bus to Cranbrook to get our 80s costumes on Friday 11. Only $5 return, cheap cheap! Got there and got some saweeeeet get ups. Got back to jump on the bus home after waiting 1 1/2 hours and they tell us an avalanche has blocked the road back into Fernie so we won't be leaving for about another hour but to check in at 4pm to see if we cold leave. 4pm came around and our bus had broken down so now we weren't leaving til 8pm but we had to check in every hour to see if things had changed, so we couldnt go anywhere GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!! We actually just hung out in this mall for the whole time. Spent lots of extra money but got a book i've been wanting to read for ages for only $10. Got home safely and found that only one chair up the hill was open cos of avalanches too.

Went riding as always the next day with very marginal conditions. Nothing was open until 11am and then the snow was crazy heavy. Pretty since the massive dump of snow finished it has been raining which the ski hill are claiming as snow. Rained lots and got super wet. Went home for the arvo. Crusied round to Sarah and Dan's for drinks and played guitar hero with the drums and mic too, was so fun! Stayed there til 3am which was actually 4am cos of daylight saving which we had no idea about haha.

Too hung over to ride in the shit rain on Sunday so stayed home and relaxed, ahhhh so so good not having to do anything you don't want to do.  Made this awesome pizza with salmon, cream cheese and spinach. Made the base too and it's so much better with everything being fresh, was delicious on my lips!

While in Cranbrook I started to get a sore heel on my problem foot which by Monday 14th was pretty bad. Got worse as the day went on until at night when I could hardly walk on it at all. Found on the net that I think I have a heel spur which is an extra bone growing on the heel bone which then cause the tendon running from the heel to the toes to be strained and painful. The only thing that's going to help this is new othodics so I'm back to Cranbrook tomorrow to see a podiatrist to get this foot sorted. Today I didn't got riding and did some exercises and it seems to be a bit better so fingers crossed it get better and that the travel insurance pays for it........

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.