Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

Lovin the Fernie powder, peeps and par-taying

CANADA | Friday, 4 February 2011 | Views [782]

So Monday 10th Jan 2011 was the funnest powder day I've had yet. Currie Bowl was closed for about 4-5 days and it snowed every one of those days so there was about 50cm of fresh POW in there. They opened it up first up on Monday morning (just in time for all the tourist from Calgary to have gone home haha). The race was on from the top of the Timber Chair to the bottom of Whitepass chair. I got on about the 10th chair and was about the 20th person into Currie, was AWESOME riding that day! Got fresh tracks for about an hour or so, was fun fun. Pete and another buddy were first into the bowl and Marsh was in the top 10 so was a fun time all round!

Wednesday and Thursday I was working at Extra Foods at 12pm so headed up the hill early. Got up Wed morning and they only predicted 5cm over night so there was no one up there. They actually had about 10cm and it was amazing! I picked lines going up on the chair and then cam down, went back up on the chair and my line was the only one still there, so so fun! Thurs morning was super fun too but then it started to rain GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Thurs night Marsh was working up the hill and it ws raining and then everything turned to ice when it cooled down at night. They finished work at about 9pm but they couldn't get down cos the bus couldn't get up the hill to pick them up. They hadn't gritted the road either so no one could get up or down, crazy! By about 11.30pm there had been a 10 car crash cos people were just sliding everywhere on the way down. They then gritted the road and the bus came up and got them, hahaha hopefully they will be more prepared next time. You would think they would be used to this weather.

So it rained for the next 4 days and we didn't ride at all, was so shit! On the 3rd day we got pissed off and bored so called everyone to come on a pub crawl to all the bars in town. Heaps of Extra Foods people came so was good to catch up. A few from the hill to but we only made it to 2 bars cos it was a Sunday and everything closed at midnight. Good to get out and be hung over then next day cos it rained and we couldn't do anything anyways. There pretty much isn't anything to do apart from ride the mountain so if you can't do that it's super boring.

The 18th, 19th and 20th we did the level 1 avalanche course through work up the hill. It was less than half price which was sweet. Was so good, learnt heaps about the back country. How to determine if you think an avalanche might occur and about the snow pack. Leanrt how to buddy rescue and just ride safely in the back country so we will hopefully get to go on some mission but will see. We got rain early on the the season (dec) which created a layer of ice which is high risk for avalanche so we probably won't get to ride real crazy lines in the backcountry but will try and do something.

I can now do front 1s super good and still working on back 1s, can land them sometimes but not totally confident in them yet. Going to Whitefish Mountain in Montana tomorrow and they have a park so will probably try some bigger jumps and maybe doing some ones there.

On the 25th Jan all Tom's crews went to play curling at the local rink.  Was kinda mine and Marsh going away thing. Tom told everyone we were leaving. Was only $10 to play and $3.50 wines, so ended up being a interesting night haha. Went out to the Pub afterwards and saw some Extra Foods people there too. Was Aussie day in Australia so they were playing the hottest 100 on Triple J. Stayed there for a bit and then headed to the Central cos it's way better there. Got home pretty late and cooked a pizza that Marsh doesn't remember making hahahaha. Got out of work that night at 6pm so we could all play which was awesome!

Marsh hurt his shoulder on the 28th. Had a crash at full speed and landed on his head and his left shoulder. He's sweet but had to get a new helmet cos the inside part of his was compressed so much. His should is still a bit dodgy but should be ok.

29th we headed up the hill cos we had 10cm fresh snow overnight. Wasn't enough to be wicked but i still get excited when there's anything. We rode for only an hour cos it was super cold. Got fresh tracks and then left ha. Came down the hill and saw a car in the ditch with BCAA pulling them out. Got round the corner to a line of traffic. There was about 8 cars crashed and a bus on the next corner. It was almost raining when we went up the hill at about 8am and within2 hours the temperature had cooled a lot and everything turned to ice so people to slipping off the road everywhere. It was a Saturday too so lots of tourists who don't know how to drive in the snow/ice. Anyway we were stuck in line for about 1 1/2 hours, no on hurt really badly which was good. Got around the next corner though and a pick up was in the ditch, stupid people aye, don't learn from others mistakes.

Next day was Sunday and my best EVER day riding! We had another 25com overnight and it was awesome! Me and Marsh were on 3rd chair up and we were the first down a few runs which is crazy. I have got so much fasten which means i get heaps more fresh tracks! We hit all the runs where others don't really go and got fresh lines for two hours and had the best fun, it was amazing! Can't describe how wicked it was.

WOW so much had happened in the last couple of weeks. Last day of Jan we had a staff dinner and then went out to the Pub with everyone. Didn't get home til 2-3am. Drank my home made wine and didn't get hung over WOO HOO!

Next day hiked Polar Peak, with Signe, which is the highest point on our mountain, was a epic view and a sweeeeeet ride down (wee bit short) but worth the hike for the view for sure. Marsh and 7 other boys from the hill did the lift challenge. Which is finishing a beer on every lift on the hill. You have to finish by th time you get off the lift, no dropping beers and there's 8 lifts. They had a fun as time until the moose came running at them at one of the last lifts hahahahhahahahahahahaha. She's been down there for a few days but no ones been hurt yet which is good. 

So now we have finished work which is freakin wicked! All packed and ready to head the Montana tomorrow. Taking everything just in case they don't let us back into Canada but we have everything we need. They can't not let us back in unless there's a rule that you have to be out of Canada for a certain amount of time before you come back as a visitor but we can't find anything on it so should be saweeeeeeeet!

Heading to open mic night at the Brick House tonight. Havne't been there before so should be neat. Riding Whitefish (where we get 2 free days with our staff pass) Saturday and Sunday so hopefully they don't get snow here and get some there ha.

Oh yeah and somewhere in that last couple of weeks Dean gave us tickets to the Central to see a guy play 3 didgeridoo, 4 different types of guitar, bongos and sing, ha he was freakin amazing! His name was Shane Phillips and we ended up buying his CD there cos he was so awesome! PRetty neat to see.

OOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!! Can't f#@cken believe it the gear stick on Blue broke when Marsh left th ski hill. We have to leave the country tomorrow and we can't get the Blue into park or reverse, holy shit! Why did this have to happen less than 12 hours before we have to leave? So just talked to Arthur and he thinks it's just the gear stick part so should be pretty easy to fix. Will take it into Canadain tire in the morning and see what they can do otherwise will just have to drive it and park on flats and use wood blocks to stop it from rolling. F@%K!!!! We have to leave tomorrow cos our visa runs out tomorrow and then we have to be back on Tuesday cos Caro arrives so hopefully it all works out, will see.

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.