Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

Settling in and getting started in Calgary

CANADA | Wednesday, 5 May 2010 | Views [863]

So on the 7th April I had an interview to work at a gift store called Personally Yours. It went well. That afternoon Marsh and I went down to the local mall handing out CV's asking for a job. A coffee shop called Second Cup called me straight after I left for an interview the next day.

The next day the interview went sweet at the coffee shop and Personally Yours called to say I got the job, stoked!! Went and meet them to do the paper work and starting on Monday the 12th April at a kiosk (Things Engraved) in the Chinook Mall. Called Second Cup to say I'd only be looking for part time work and they called on the Sunday to say I could start on Wednesday if I wanted. Marsh had an interview for a forklift driving job on the Monday too. He got that so in th space of two weeks we were completely sorted with house and jobs, bloody happy with that!

The weather is crazy here. On Friday 9th April, it just started snowing, heaps too.

This is the link to Second Cup: http://www.secondcup.com/

This is Personally Yours and Things Engraved: http://www.thingsengraved.ca/

Did my first shift at the gift store and went to show a customer some wine glasses and the shelf fell cos one of the stoppers underneath was missing. It fell forward and broke heaps of glasses hahahahaha. Bad experience on the first day ha but totally wasn't my fault.

The next day I learnt to cut keys which is so so easy. Wednesday I started at Second Cup. It's so neat to be learning new things again. The coffee industry is so intense here, there is a billion different coffees. I have to do online training too. It's paid so all good but you have to do a test that you need to get 80% in to pass.

Started learning how to engrave on my 3rd day of work. It's so scary cos once it's there it's there forever. I have mucked up so many things already ha. Started with learning how to engrave flat surfaces, like zippos, business card holders. Had to do practical tests to pass. Then started engraving on curved surfaces, like pens and flasks.

On my 5th day of work at Things Engraved they left me in the store alone and it took me 45minutes to engrave a plate. The guy was there waiting although he was real good about it. I couldn't suss out how to get the tet bigger for the space and to keep it in proportion so I called the manager. I needed to do something that she hadn't even taught me how to do yet. I was pissed off. The manager is kinda useless like that. She forgets to tell me what to do and then leaves gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

The next wee while pretty much consist of working, sleeping and waiting to get paid!. Still haven't been paid from the gum job I did at the start of April. Still waiting on our last pay from the Vancouver cleaning job too.

21st and 22nd were such nice days, it was like 23 degrees, toasty warm and sunny! Then two days later on the 24th it snowed again, crazy crazy weather here. Kinda annoying but then again there's is pretty much nothing to do here so no need to sunny weather (no beach to hang out at).

Rhys and Squirt the Aussie boys that got us the jobs in Vancouver arrived here on Thursday 29th April. Their van broke down in a snow strom so they are staying with us. On Saturday 1st May went out for a BYO at Hong Kong Garden (much like Hong Kong BBQ in Perth), then out to some bars in town. Felt terrible the next day and had to work all day. Didn't muck anything on the engraver so that was saweeeeeeeet.

Monday and they are still here. Lethal and Bex (flatties from Perth) are arriving tonight and Rhys and Squirt have just said they are going to stay tonight too so they can see Leigh hahahahahahaha, Leigh!

Can't wait for the girls to get here, although have to work before their arrival.

Planning on staying here til October now. We figure we might as well work for as long as we are allowed and then do the roady. The plan is now to head down the West coast of the States and then diagonally  back up to the Great Lakes and then to the East coast of Canada.

Going to Banff on the 24th May for the Slush Cup which is where people snowboard or ski down hill and try to cross a pond of water at the bottom. Check out the utube link below from 2007. Will hopefully catch up with cousin Bex there too.

Looking into going to Shambhal Music Festival which is over my birthday. This is the link http://www.shambhalamusicfestival.com The festival goes for five days, would be epic so just need to sort out tix for that.

Anyway off to work at Second Cup (as I a wait the arrival of the Meron (YEYE) - Stephen), mmmmmmm yummy yummy drinks and food for my tummy. Nom nom nom.

Tags: sleeping and waiting to get paid, working

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.